Chapter 26 - Sentinels

(1)

"Dammit!" Kell slammed the door as they returned to the apartment.

"It happens," said Nul.

"It only happened because we were being targeted, again."

"That's life, we'll be fine."

"That's life when you're on the outside. I hate how the Champions are such cliquey little brats."

"Do you want to join another group like Baron's and go through that again?"

Kell growled and started digging through the cupboards, looking for some wine.

"What I want is for our performance in the arena to be based on our fighting ability, not on the stupid drama between Champions." Finding a bottle, Kell ripped the cork out with her teeth and started drinking straight from the bottle.

"The Crucible may work that way, but not the King's Arena. You can't go around pissing off other Champions."

"I didn't do anything to piss them off! Baron attacked me, he provoked me into a fight that he couldn't win. His girlfriend should know it wasn't intentional."

"Kell, do you really think someone like Timara is rational enough to think that way. You killed Baron and now she wants revenge."

"I didn't mean to!"

Roran settled down onto the couch, watching the two argue and feeling miserable. His body ached and his ears were still ringing. He was coated in dirt in grime, cacked on by his own sweat. Roran knew the event would be tough, but he hadn't anticipated it to end in such a miserable defeat.

"We can't fight in the arena if we're being targeted," said Nul. "Especially if they're going to target Roran."

"I should have killed some of them, at least then they would think twice about targeting us."

"That would only piss off more people. We already had two separate teams working to hunt us down. They didn't even come after our tower, they were there specifically to kill us. We can't just kill everyone that gets in our way."

"Why not? It worked for Roran."

Roran flinched, the truth of her words biting deep.

"Really Kell?"

Kell sighed, the heat going out of her. "Sorry, I didn't mean that. I'm just mad."

"It's okay," said Roran. "I was a burden out there. I couldn't even activate my focus markings half the time."

"You weren't a burden," said Nul. "You did what we wanted you to do. Your plan managed to turn an uneven fight in our favor."

"It was some clever thinking," said Kell, hopping up to sit on the counter. "How did you know it would get the other fighters off our backs."

"I noticed that the gladiators were weak," said Roran. "Not physically, but mentally. When I challenged the one in the tower he jumped off out of fear. They don't think of these matches as life or death struggles. To them, it's still a game."

Nul nodded. "So when we fried one of their Champions, they realized how high the stakes were and panicked."

Kell grinned. "See, I told you he was the right person."

Roran smiled, but it was bitter. "I guess after constant death matches against stronger opponents I'm used to being afraid for my life. I hate to say it, but the Crucible did its job."

Nul went over and put a hand on Roran's shoulder. "That horrible place may have given you an edge, but it's up to you to decide how you use it. Nobody died today, that was your doing." Turning to Kell they said, "So, what's next?"