Chapter 12 - Turning point (1)

Roran dropped his fork in surprise. Chase laughed.

"Come on kid, don't give me that look. I know how it sounds. I was forced to leave my home because of the kings and now here I am, living in their city and working in their arenas. I didn't think it would happen either. Ten years ago, if you'd told me that I'd be here training hounds for the Kings I would have thrown my drink in your face."

Recovering a little, Roran asked, "What happened? How did you end up here?"

"Answering your first question, what happened to me was the same thing that happened to everyone else. The King's got hungry. They wanted more, they always want more, and my city happened to be an easy target.

"I didn't live in the city, mind you, but I was near enough that I saw everything. First came the diplomats, making demands the city council couldn't agree to. Then, when our local lord rallied some troops, the King's Army called it a sign of aggression and put it down. After that they demanded retribution from the lord and asked him to turn over the city as recompense. He refused and, well, things got bloody from there. The army marched in and took what they wanted.

"The worst part were the champions. I didn't know that's were back then. All I saw were demons covered in black and red ink, tossing grown men about like rag dolls and wielding the elements the way you and I wield a sword. I'd seen magic before, small stuff here and there, but the champions turned it into a form of art. I watched two men topple a bell tower with only their bare hands. They punched out the wall and foundation and just shoved it over, like it was some sort of game.

"I lived up on a hill at the time and got to see the worst of it. Like you, I remembered the uniforms. The crimson red to hide blood stains and the shimmering gold to proclaim their wealth. It was there way of saying, we're rich and powerful and you can't even make us bleed. Anyway, after it became obvious the King's Army was going to win, I packed a bag and hightailed it out of there, sprinting into the nearby forests.

"I traveled for days, afraid to slow down. Eventually, hunger overcame fear and I made my way to a nearby village. They had word that the King's Army was still occupying my old city. The official story they were selling was that the old occupants were being relocated to King's City, where they would shelter and receive care and aid until their city was restored and a new council was put into place, one that answered to the Kings. I'm sure you can guess just how much care and aid my people received here.

"I spent a few years roaming around, doing odd jobs for money, did a little mercenary work from time to time. I even got to be a bounty hunter for a fortnight, I'll have to tell you that story later, it's a good one. After I got tired of roaming around, I realized that I needed a home. More than anything, I needed animals to train. I was born on a horse ranch, so I've been training animals all my life, but I've always had a special love for dogs.

"After some looking around, I heard that the wardens were in need of good hound trainers so I headed towards the mountains. I took my time, enjoying the journey. As you well know, it's a long one and mostly uphill. By the time I got to King's City, I was tired and hungry and just needed a place to rest. When I entered the city, I made a point of not telling them where I came from, just in case there were still tensions surrounding my former homeland and my people. I shouldn't have bothered. Nobody here had even heard of my city and my people were long gone, devoured by the city itself. I still see a familiar face every once in a while, but we don't greet each other or reconnect. Our old lives are gone, it's best just to move forward.

"After getting a work visa, I applied to be a hound trainer for the wardens. The captains liked me and my skills and I got the job. The rest is history. Now I'm here, serving the people that destroyed my home."

Chase looked away from Roran, pushing his food around on his plate.

"Sorry," he said, "That was a lot to dump on you all at once."

"It's okay. It's something I can relate to."

Chase barked out a laugh but it was hollow and empty.

"That's right, you're the last person I should be complaining to. You're living the hell I survived. I guess what I meant to say in all that was, I don't blame the army or even the city for what happened to me. I was mad at first, but my anger cooled and the city has been kind to me. This kingdom is a giant beast that eats to stay alive. My city just happened to be in the way."

"Is it hard training hounds for them?" asked Roran, "For the army?"

"It was at first, but I got over it. Besides, the hounds primarily go to high ranking officers. They're rarely on the ground fighting people. The rest go to diplomats and nobles, so it's not like my hounds are out there killing innocent people."

Roran nodded. "So none of them fight in the arena?"

"Very rarely, and only if something has gone horribly wrong."

"Like what?" Roran asked.

"Something big, like a mutiny inside the Crucible where the wardens need extra help fighting. Or one of the Kings ordered it but that's unlikely. They prefer seeing exotic beasts fight in the arena, not a handful of hounds you can find in any of the officers' lounges."

Roran breathed out a sigh of relief. He'd been afraid that he might have to face off against Chase's hounds one day.

Chase grinned at him, reading his mind. "Don't worry kid, you're safe from the hounds. Well, mostly. They'll still use you as a chew toy occasionally."

Roran rolled his eyes but relaxed. He finished his meal and settled back in his seat.

"Do you regret it?" he asked Chase.

"Nah, not anymore. I used to but then I realized that there comes a turning point in life. A moment in time where things become permanent. A moment where you realize that you can never go back to your old life and simply have to accept the circumstances and move forward. For me, that moment was when I realized I'd rather train hounds for the Kings than live in a hut being mad about the past. Your own moment will come too, Roran, sooner than later.