Chapter 8 - Going alone (5)

Duran rolled towards Roran, each step slamming into the ground. The man was a mobile fortress, covered in thick armor and wielding a hammer almost as big as Roran. Seeing Duran bare down on him, Roran wondered if this was how Kell felt when she challenged the living boulder.

As Duran hefted his hammer and prepared to strike, Roran turned and fled. Agile and light on his feet, Roran had no problem outpacing the giant. He slowed down once he had a comfortable lead and let Duran catch up. When the living boulder approached, Roran hunkered down and prepared to run again.

This time, when Duran hefted his hammer, Roran waited until he swung it to start running. The hammer whistled past him, the wind from it rustling his hair and clothes. Roran ran again, getting a comfortable distance between them.

He repeated the move two more times, letting Duran get close, swing his hammer, and then jump out of the way before it could touch him. He let the hammer get a little closer each time. On the third attempt, Roran didn't run.

"Hold still little murderer. I squish you like mouse!"

"Fine," said Roran, and raised his blade.

Duran swung the hammer and Roran ducked out of the way, the hammer inches from his body. Then, as the swing carried the hammer away from Roran, he jumped in, slashing hard with his sword.

He brought it down on Duran's elbow. The sword hit Duran's armor and bounced off. Roran cursed and quickly backed away, getting out of Duran's swinging range. Roran had been hoping to strike a soft spot in Duran's protective shell, but even the joints were reinforced with mail. The only place that wasn't covered in armor was Duran's face and neck, probably so he could huff and puff freely when he ran out of breath.

"I said hold still!"

Roran ignored him this time and started running again. Duran groaned and resumed chasing after him, though with less bravado than before. Trying again, Roran slowed and waited for Duran to swing at him again. Once more, Roran dodged the powerful strike and followed up with one of his own. This time bouncing his blade off of Duran's knee. No luck. Roran ran again.

Duran roared in frustration and exhaustion. Gasping for air, he took off after Roran again. For a third and final time, Roran slowed and let Duran catch him. As soon as he was within reach, Duran channeled his unspent frustration and rage into his attack, attempting to shatter Roran in a single blow.

Roran blanched at the speed of the blow, nearly falling to the ground as he ducked out of the way. Quickly, before Duran had time to recover, Roran stepped in close, close enough that he could smell the colossal champion's foul breath. He swung his blade hard at Duran's neck. Barely moving, Duran twisted and the blade struck the heavy armor on his shoulders before it could get anywhere near his exposed flesh. The blade vibrated, and shattered.

Roran swore and stumbled again, looking at the ruined weapon in disbelief. "Again?"

Duran chuckled. "Little murderer needs better weapons."

In a fit of frustration, Roran scooped up a couple shards of the broken sword and threw one at Duran before turning and running. The scrap of metal grazed Duran's cheek and he roared.

Roran didn't bother slowing down this time. He got a comfortable distance between himself and the living boulder and maintained it. He only slowed down to turn and throw the shards of metal at Duran before running again.

Around them, the fighters stayed clear of Roran and the living boulder. Even with Roran disarmed, they wanted nothing to do with the enraged champion and his quarry. Off in a corner, Morena was finishing up with another victim and watching the spectacle.

Above them, the audience had started bubbling and hooting. They were laughing. Roran was unarmed and running for his life, and they were laughing. Thinking of Kell, Roran raised a single finger salute to them. They only laughed harder.

"Well, ladies and gentlemen," said the announcer, his voice echoing through the arena, "it looks like things are winding down. The murderous man from Millgrove is without a weapon but it doesn't look like he needs one, not when the living boulder is barely able to stand."

Looking behind him, Roran saw that Duran was stumbling forward, a little unsteadier with every step. His face was practically purple as he gasped for air. Roran slowed down but kept jogging, keeping an eye out for anyone that might try to ambush him.

"Shall we call it a match everyone?" asked the announcer.

"Blood, blood, blood," screamed the audience, unsatisfied.

"You heard them, give them more blood."

The gladiators in the arena hardly responded. Less than half the combatants remained and several of those were injured. Duran could barely breathe, Roran didn't have a weapon, and Morena was leaning against a wall, covered in blood and dis-inclined to move unless physically provoked.

"I'm tired," said Duran, "I be done."

"Blood, blood, blood," chanted the audience.

"No blood, I be done."

"Blood, blood, blood."

"Ugh..." 

Tired and groaning, Duran hefted his hammer and started moving again, this time away from Roran. He wandered over to a group of people lying on the ground. He nudged one of them with his foot.

"You alive?"

No response.

He tried again, nudging another. "Move."

No response.

On his third try, Duran found a body that coughed and groaned. "You alive?" he asked.

The person moaned and nodded. "Please help, it hurts so much."

"I help," said Duran as he hefted his hammer.

"Blood, blood, blood," screamed the audience, getting louder.

Raising the hammer high over his head, Duran swung it with all his might. Roran turned and stared at a wall as the hammer came down. There were some memories he didn't need.

Roran felt the impact of the hammer hitting the ground, the sensation making his hair stand up and his toes curl. The sound was wrong, meaty and muted. The crowd went wild and the bell rang, ending the round.

Roran felt like he was going to be sick, but he clamped his mouth shut and swallowed the sensation. He couldn't afford to throw up in the arena anymore, he couldn't afford to be weak anymore, he couldn't afford to be anything less than one of these murderous champions. Not if he was going to survive.