Chapter 46 - Defeated

(1)

Roran watched as Phalyn methodically cut apart Kell's etchings and sent her tumbling to the dirt. He waited on the edge of the plaza with the others, all of them watching in awe at the battle between the two titans. Even Jeremiah was at a loss for words. After seeing Kell smash through a slab of stone with minimal injury and hurl chunks of stone the size of his torso, he was finally being forced to acknowledge Kell's raw strength.

Nul was on edge, biting a thumbnail as the fight deteriorated and Kell began losing. Darling was whimpering, tears running down her face as she watched her sister being cut apart. Karyn was holding her, keeping Darling from doing anything stupid. When Kell's spear shattered and Phalyn delivered the final blow, Darling let out a painful sob. Even Karyn was trembling.

"It's over," said Nul, "She can't fight with those wounds."

Kell laid in the snow, a crumpled mess. Phalyn looked down on her, sneering. Slowly, she started walking towards Kell and raising her spear.

"The world has no need for yapping beasts like you. Let the soil give new use to the life you've wasted."

Roran bolted, sprinting for Kell. He hefted his shield and jumped in front of Kell as Phalyn lunged with her spear. He barely managed to deflect the blow, the sheer force of it jarring his entire body. The single blow left his hand numb and his shoulder screaming in pain. Kell had been taking these attacks all night.

Roran scooped up Kell and backpedaled away from Phalyn.

"Do not interfere child, this is my kill to make."

Phalyn reared back, ready to spear both Roran and Kell. As she attacked, another spear clashed with hers, driving her back. Between Roran and Phalyn stood a specter of death. It towered over Phalyn, with six massive wings extending from its back and a long spear of silver in its hand. A hood covered its features and a flaming halo floated over its head.

Sarah's voice rang out loud and clear in the plaza. "You go too far. The fight has ended."

"The fight ends when I am satisfied, lyhlim. Begone!"

Phalyn lashed out at Sarah. Sarah blocked the blow with her own spear but the force pushed her back.

"Your time in this world has long since finished," said Sarah, "It is not for you to take the life of a living being."

Two more lyhlim appeared on either side of Phalyn. They moved in close to Sarah, forming a barrier between Phalyn and Roran.

Phalyn raised her spear in defiance. "This is between me and the brat, do not interfere!"

Another pair of lyhlim appeared, raising their spears the five of them moved in to surround Phalyn. Though they had her pinned in with their spears, they didn't advance.

Phalyn sneered at them. "I will not go quietly into the night. I have killed your kind before and I will do so again. Try to end me and I shall leave you shattered on the ground.

"The fight is over," Sarah said again, "Go back to your tomb, old guard."

The lyhlim held their position, a squadron of winged sentinels pinning in the old remnant. Phalyn grunted and spit on the ground at Sarah's feet. Then, her body began to disintegrate. Like snow being blown away in the breeze, Phalyn vanished into the night air..

All of the lyhlim vanished in an instant, with Sarah returning to her normal form. She placed a hand on Roran's shoulder.

"It's alright, she's back where she belongs."

Roran hadn't realized that he'd been shaking. His arms felt numb and he was saturated in Kell's blood.

"Kell!"