Chapter 13 - Preparations (4)

"Wake up, I need something from you."

Roran opened his eyes to find Kamil standing over him. He wished people would respect his need for sleep, or at least sit next to him when they wanted to talk at him. Sitting up, Roran rubbed the sleep from his eyes. It felt early and most people were still asleep. A little ways away, Murrin and Dorval were watching them, their eyes red and bloodshot from lack of sleep.

"On your next trip to the surface, I need you to pick up some herbs for me."

"Okay. I don't have any money though."

Kamil scowled at him. "Won't your sponsor pay for it?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Why would she?"

"Because she wants you to win."

"How would buying you herbs help me win?"

"Don't sass me!"

Roran stared at her, not bothering to respond.

"I'll see about getting some favors from Murrin. I need the herbs to help Toth."

"Haven't you been buying the healing salve?"

"We're almost out of favors and your last performance was less than sufficient to support us. Just get me the damn herbs and stop arguing."

Roran shrugged. It didn't matter to him. He was effectively on his own at this point. "Okay, if you give me some favors I'll get the herbs."

Kamil nodded then returned to Murrin and Dorval. Roran couldn't hear them talking but he saw a horrified look cross Murrin's face. He looked at Roran then back at Kamil. Kamil whispered at him, gesturing frantically. Murrin's face fell into a scowl before he reached into his pocket and forked over a couple favors.

Kamil returned with the favors and a slip of paper, handing them to Roran.

"Bring me these herbs before the event."

"Okay."

Kamil stared at him, waiting for him to say anything else, but he just stared at her, waiting for her to leave. Finally, she turned and left.

Roran slipped the favors into his pocket and perused the list of herbs. Some were common herbs, used to make medicines and salves, but a few he'd never heard of before. One that surprised him was bergamot, which he had only ever used for tea. Oddly enough, it wasn't the type of tea Kamil liked. She preferred chamomile and mint. Roran pushed the thought from his mind and went back to sleep.

The next day he left as soon as the rations cart arrived. Murrin didn't bother harassing him this time, letting him pass with little more than an annoyed glance. Roran was careful as he flashed his marker medallion but worried that Murrin would eventually catch on to it.

When he made it to Kell's apartment, and knocked on the door, nobody greeted him. Instead Kell yelled for him to come in. She was at the stove and Nul was, once more, commiserating over a cup of coffee at the table.

"Don't bother knocking," said Kell, "Just come in next time."

"Are you sure? I don't want impose."

Kell shrugged. "I don't care and Nul hides in their rooms unless they're decent."

"You won't think I'm an intruder and accidently attack me will you?"

Nul snorted but Kell shook her head. "Woe to whoever tries to intrude on our home."

"Fair enough," said Roran, noting that Kell's spear was leaning against the counter within easy reach.

Roran sat down and Kell plopped a plate in front of him. There was more food than last time.

"Eat up, you're going to have a busy day."

Fighting his stomach, Roran did as he was told. His body still wasn't used to large meals but he wanted every ounce of energy he could get into himself. Despite his stomach's protests, he was able to clear the plate. His appetite was increasing.

"Today will be mostly calisthenics and agility drills. Once your hands heal we'll do more swordplay. Any questions?"

Roran paused, downing a large gulp of coffee, before saying, "I need to find some herbs before I go home."

Nul perked up. "Herbs?"

"It was a request from my town's herbalist. They wanted them to make medicine."

"Can't they buy that with the favors they steal from you?"

"They spent most of them already."

Kell rolled her eyes. "Those people will bleed you dry."

"I know."

"Did they give you any money?" asked Nul.

"Just a couple favors. I figured I'll trade them for coin and buy what I can."

"We can sort that out this evening," Nul said, " You won't get much for a couple favors though."

"It will have to do."

Kell continued to scowl but returned to shoving food into her face. Roran glanced at Nul who only shook their head. The three finished their meal in silence. Roran offered to clean up while Kell and Nul got ready. By the time they left the apartment, Kell had moved on and was once more cheerful and excited to run Roran into the dirt.

She took him back to the old training arena and made him run laps until he was gasping for air. Then she pushed him through a series of agility exercises, running and jumping and diving. Finally, she grabbed a wooden training sword and chased after him, making him dodge her blows.

After what felt like an eternity, Kell let Roran collapse on the ground. She tossed him a water skin and grabbed another for herself.

After taking a long drink, she said, "How you feeling kid?"

"Fine," Roran said between gasps.

"Great, sounds like you're ready for more laps then."

Roran groaned but proceeded to push himself to his feet.

"Relax kid, I'm kidding. We're done for the day."

Roran fell back to the dirt with a thump.

Nul went to his side and squatted next to him. "Does anything hurt?"

"Everything hurts, but I don't think I'm injured."

Nul smiled. "You're a good sport. Give me your favors and tell me what herbs you need."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I buy herbs and artifacts all the time. I need them to etch in the focus markings. Getting a handful of healing herbs should be no problem."

"If you're sure, I don't want to impose."

"It's no problem, besides, do you honestly think you'll be able to wander around the shopping districts in your current condition. Let me take care of this for you."

"Thank you," said Roran as he handed over the favors and the list of herbs.

Nul scanned the list and frowned. "You said this was for medicine?"

Roran nodded.

"It's an odd collection of herbs for medicine. Are you sure this person knows what they're doing?"

Roran nodded again. "She was our town herbalist before I was born. My mother always said she made some of the best salves and potions."

"Okay, I'll take care of it. In return you babysit Kell for me."

"Okay?"

Kell grinned wide. "Great! Let's go find a bathhouse!"