Chapter 18 - Family (2)

Roran woke up to a knock at his door. Sitting up, he found that Kell was no longer in the room. The knock came again.

"Yeah?"

"Hey," came Nul's voice, "Breakfast is almost ready. Come down whenever you're ready. We'll walk you to the Crucible after we eat."

"Thanks, I'll be down in a minute."

Roran climbed out of bed and stretched. He felt surprisingly good. He still felt like a fool for helping his mother's murderer, and a little embarrassed for crying all over Karyn, but he felt good, refreshed. Rolling his shoulders, Roran realized that last night was the first night in months that he'd spent in an actual bed.

Buckling on his sword and shield, he straightened out his clothes and headed downstairs. The apartment was filled with the smells of bacon and fresh bread. From the kitchen came a sizzle-pop as Kell worked her magic over the stove, humming quietly to herself. She was no culinary master, but she could make a comforting meal. Karyn was with her in the kitchen, pulling bread out of the little coal oven. Together, they piled plates high with an assortment of meats, eggs, and breads.

Nul was at the table, looking marginally less upset with the world than normal and sipping a cup of coffee. Roran joined them.

"How'd you sleep?" Karyn asked, bringing him a cup of coffee.

"Good, it's been a long time since I slept in a bed."

"Don't die and you can sleep in that bed from now," Kell called from the kitchen.

"I'll do my best."

"You'd better, otherwise you'll be sleeping on the floor!"

Karyn set plates on the table while Kell brought over platters of food. Roran tried to remember the last time he'd had a family style meal like this, with everyone sitting around the table together, chatting and laughing, sharing a meal together. Roran smiled down into his coffee, feeling at peace.

"Oi, eat before it's all gone."

With Kell's prompting, Roran dished himself a hearty plate of breakfast and dug in. As always, Kell's cooking was simple but good. Tearing a roll in half, he asked, "Did you make the bread?"

"No," said Karyn, "Just baked it. Nearby bakeries sell dough so you can have it fresh at home. Kell made Nul escort me around town this morning so I could run some errands."

Nul harrumphed into the coffee but Karyn ignored them.

"I also stopped at home for something." Karyn paused and pulled a bit of string out of her pocket. The string had been braided in on itself, with beads tied off at varying intervals. "It's a sort of good luck charm. I need to finish charming it, but I want you to wear it during the match."

"Thank you," said Roran, "That's thoughtful of you." He thought of the coin Chase had given him during his first match. Chase's story about the coin had been fake, but the confidence boost it gave Roran had been real enough. That day seemed like an eternity ago.

"How's your sword?" asked Kell.

"There are a few new scratches on it but it's fine."

"I'll give it a onceover with a whetstone before we go."

"Thank you, I'd appreciate that."

After enjoying their meal, Roran helped clean up while Karyn started setting out a collection of oils and incense on the table. She went about a small ritual, rubbing oils into the string and waving it through incense smoke and muttering to herself.

Kell scowled at Karyn's use of incense, but she kept quiet and simply opened a window to air out the apartment. Once the kitchen was clean, she absconded to her room with Roran's sword. Null offered Roran one of their shirts, to replace the one Toth had torn off him. The shirt was snug and Roran had to wear it under his chest guard instead of over it.

Completing her ritual, Karyn came over and took Roran's hand, wrapping the charm around his wrist. It reminded him of the friendship bracelets his mother had taught him to make as a child.

"It's not much," said Karyn, "But it's better than nothing. I charmed it for protection and awareness. If nothing else, it should help you be a little more observant."

As she tied the bracelet off, Roran felt a little snap, like that of static. Karyn smiled to herself and nodded, pleased with her work.

"Thank you," said Roran, running his fingers along the makeshift bracelet.

"You've been saying that an awful lot this morning."

"I guess I'm just feeling grateful. Yesterday was rough but you three have been so kind to me. Fixing up my hand, helping me sleep, treating me to breakfast. It's been a long time since anyone was this kind to me, let alone three people."

"That's what family does. We look after each other."

"Family?"

Karyn nodded. "Yup family. Nul and Kell need you, and I've decided to stick around for a little while longer. So we're stuck together, making us family."

"Family, huh?" Roran said softly, tasting the word. It had been a long time since he'd been part of a family.

Kell returned with Roran's sword. She had given it a quick polish with oil and the edge gleamed, sharp as a razor. Handing it back to him, she asked, "Ready to go?"

Roran looked at the three of them, his new friends and comrades. His new family. He nodded. "Yeah, I'm ready."

Together, they descended to the street and headed for the Crucible. Street traffic was light, consisting primarily of vendors setting up for the day. They were packing the sides of the road, several of them arguing over boundaries and how much space they were allowed. It was going to be a busy day.

The Crucible was abuzz with activity, clerks running around with armfuls of paper and wardens moving this way and that, trying to set up the events. Kell, being Kell, plowed through them and found Carrick.

"Hey," she said.

Carrick looked down at her through his glasses, a fond frown on his face. "Yes?"

"We brought the next champion."

Carrick glanced up at Roran. "So you have. You seem confident that he'll win."

Kell grinned like a wolf. "I bet all our money on it."

"Of course you did."

Behind Roran, Nul softly groaned. Karyn snickered.

She elbowed Roran. "No pressure eh?"

"I will see to it that your newest pet is taken care of. The champion's balcony is already set up, you're welcome to head there now."

"Great!" Kell turned to Roran. "See you after the match?"

Roran shrugged. "If you don't, it's not my problem."

"That's the spirit!"

Kell gently punched Roran in the shoulder before turning and heading down the hall that would take her towards the champion's balcony.

"Be safe out there." Karyn leaned in and hugged Roran, squeezing him tightly, before chasing after Kell.

Finally, Nul put a hand on Roran's shoulder, squeezing softly. "I don't want to sound like I'm doubting you, but-"

"I'll do my best," said Roran, "So you don't lose all your money."

"Thank you."

After hesitating for a moment, Nul leaned in and gave Roran a brief hug before strolling after Karyn and Kell. Roran watched them go, hoping it wouldn't be the last time he talked to them.

"Are you ready?" asked Carrick, his voice even and neutral.

"Does it matter?"

"Not really, follow me please."