Chapter 30 - Ice and Snow

(1)

"Are you sure about this?" asked Nul.

"I think we can trust him," said Roran. "It's only until we get to Uhlara."

"I still think we should find another way."

"I'm open to suggestions."

Nul frowned and shook their head.

"I know you're upset about the stolen focus markings," said Roran. "But we need his help and he'll do anything for you to polish his markings. Please, we're running out of time."

Nul sighed and looked across the deck to where Merri was watching Yuusa spar with a couple of soldiers.

"Two days," said Roran, "That's all we have left."

"Fine, let's go ask him," Nul said and they began trudging across the deck to talk with Merri.

Roran and Nul sat down on either side of Merri, boxing him in. Merri regarded the pair with a raised eyebrow.

"Well this is ominous."

"We need a favor," said Roran. "A discrete one. We were hoping you would be able to help us."

"I don't normally go stirring up trouble for myself," said Merri. "Not for free anyways."

"We're willing to trade favors," said Roran.

"Oh? And what sort of favor would you be doing for me?"

"I'll give your etchings a once over," said Nul.

Merri clapped his hands and rubbed them together. "Now we're talking. Tell me, what sort of favor can I help you with?"

Roran glanced around the deck, seeing if anyone was in hearing range. Sarah appeared before him and gave him the all clear.

"We have some explosives we need to make disappear."

"Explosives?"

Roran nodded. "Our supplies include a reinforced barrel full of explosives. We don't need the explosives but we do need the barrel."

"I see, trying to smuggle something off the ship. Now what could that be?" Startled, Roran and Nul both hesitated. Merri laughed at their surprise. "This isn't the first time someone has tried to slip something past the boys in red. Worry not my friends, I think I can help you out. Let me talk to Ismon and Lenno, they owe me a favor."

"We appreciate it Merri," said Roran.

"Happy to help, especially when you're dangling such a fine looking carrot in front of me. Now tell me Worldbreaker, when will you take your needle to me?"

Nul held up a small bundle of etching supplies. "Right now."

Merri laughed again. "I like your style. You three never cease to amaze. Let's go to my cabin and you can stab me till I cry."

Two days later, Roran, Kell, and Nul stood on the deck of Balaki's Dagger. Strong winds buffeted the ship, hurtling ice and snow across the deck. The cold bit deep into Roran's body despite his warmth markings.

The ship rocked as more winds surged around it. Bundled up in his winter uniform, Commander Orlas came on to the deck.

"These winds are damn fierce. I hope you three don't mind the cold."

"We'll manage," said Kell. "Is everything ready?"

"Just about, they're bringing up your supplies now."

Merri came to join them, his beard beginning to ice over from the storm. "I'll be sad to see you lot leave. You're far more entertaining than the boys in red."