Chapter 20 - Home (2)

The streets were packed with people. It was the last day of founder's month and everyone was out celebrating. The sun was leaning towards the horizon, casting long shadows across the ground. People were laughing, music was playing, and vendors were peddling as if their lives depended on it.

"Come on!" Karyn dragged Roran by the wrist. "We need to go get lanterns before they're all sold out."

She took him to one of many vendors selling the paper lanterns and Roran counted out enough coins for three of them. The lanterns were small things, a paper bag with a bit of paraffin suspended below it. Folded up they were no bigger than a sheaf of paper.

"Now what?" asked Roran.

"Now, we light them. As the hot air fills the lantern, we make a wish. Then, once the lantern is ready to fly, we let it go. Wherever the lantern lands is where you will find the one that can grant your wish."

"Does it have to be a romantic wish?" Kell asked, wrinkling her nose.

"Yes!"

Around them, others were buying lanterns and lighting them with torches set out in the streets. Lanterns were already beginning to fill the air above them. Many of them drifted together in packs.

"Won't they land together?" asked Roran.

"Sometimes, but not often," said Karyn. "They all have a different amount of wax, so they burn out at different times. Besides, if they do land together, then you already know who will make your wish come true."

Pulling out a piece of charcoal, Karyn scrawled her name on the side of her lantern, along with a strange symbol. She drew the same symbol on the other two lanterns before unfolding her own and holding the bit of paraffin over a torch, lighting it. Then she tenderly held onto the lamp, waiting for it to inflate.

"Now all I have to do is make a wish," she said. She screwed up her face in concentration. Then, when inspiration hit, she lit up with a smile. "I wish for someone to love me until the day I die!"

Her wish spoken, Karyn released the lantern. It sagged for a moment, dropping towards the ground, then the lantern slowly started climbing. It worked its way above their heads and into the air, slowly marching higher and higher.

"You next," she said to Kell.

"Fine, let me think." Kell grumbled to herself while Karyn scribbled Kell's name on the side and lit the paraffin. Grinning, Kell said, "Here's a good one. I wish for someone who will put up with my bullshit, no matter how drunk or obnoxious I get."

Karyn glowered at Kell but said nothing. She handed the half inflated lantern back and looked at Roran. He had already inscribed his own name on the side, using the alphabet his mother had taught him.

"Well?" she asked.

Roran shrugged. "I never really thought about romance before. I was too young to worry about it before my mother died. Since then I've been more worried about survival. The only things I know about love are the stories my mother told me."

"What kind of stories?"

"Well, my mother went on a few adventures with my father. That was how she fell in love with him. It was a strange love, one that acknowledged they would never settle down or live together, but they still cherished the time they had together. And my mother was happy that he gave her a child."

Karyn gave him a soft, sad smile. "So wish for that," she said.

"Okay. I wish for someone that will support me in my adventures, and make me as happy as my father made my mother."

Roran held the paraffin engine over the torch and watched it melt and sizzle and catch fire. Long tendrils of greasy smoke reached upward, crawling inside the lantern and pushing it upwards. Slowly, the lantern ballooned outwards and started pulling itself towards the sky.

"Once it's ready to escape, just let it go," said Karyn. "Then your Queen's Hunt begins."

"Ours has already begun," said Kell, pointing to the sky where hers and Karyn's lanterns were disappearing into the sunset.

"Oh no! After them!"

She grabbed Kell's wrist and took off down the street, dragging the Champion along behind her. Kell grouched and grumped but let herself be pulled along.

Roran smiled as he watched them go, glad that his friends got along so well. When he felt the tug of his own lantern, he let it slip from his hands, drifting toward the sky. He wondered what the symbol was that Karyn had drawn on the lanterns. Probably some sort of good luck charm or, knowing her, a love charm. He didn't mind. At this point, she was the most accomplished fortune teller he knew.

Walking slowly, Roran followed the lantern. He watched the other lanterns to get an idea of wind speed and direction, then cut through some interior walkways to get out of the busy streets. Once he was on the backroads, he had an easier time keeping up with his lantern.

Despite his maudlin mood, he found it difficult to be sour with the entire city celebrating. People were out in droves, all of them smiling. The entire city was filled with the smell of food and everywhere he turned there was something new to try. Giving in to the air of gaiety, he took a moment to buy a kabob before continuing his leisurely walk after the lantern.

Before long, the sun was settling into the horizon, getting ready to surrender itself for the night. Many of the lanterns were falling out of the sky while several more were just beginning to rise. Roran expected that lanterns would fill the sky until sunrise.

Lanterns continued falling out of the sky while Roran's carried on. It took him around the city, past the King's Arena, and into the outskirts. Roran's legs began protesting as he followed it outside the densely populated neighborhoods and into the quiet rural areas, higher up on the mountainside. Glancing behind him, Roran saw most of King's City splayed out below him, nestled comfortably between the three mountains. Still his lantern carried on.

Just as Roran was beginning to wonder if it was going to take him out of the city altogether, the lantern began to descend. He followed it upwards, up the side of a hill, to a stone staircase. The staircase was long and winding, leading to a small gate. The lantern descended and crashed into the earth just beyond the gate.

Undeterred, Roran made the climb and found himself in a graveyard. The gate was old and made from wrought iron that had started to rust. A sign on the gate said, "May the brave heroes of war find rest here in the arms of King Vassilis." Even the sign was neglected and falling apart.

Roran pushed open the gate, wincing as it screeched. He found his lantern only a few feet away, cold and dead and lying on the ground. The sun was dipping below the horizon, casting long shadows in front of him.

Roran bent and picked up the lantern, still marked with both his name and Karyn's strange sigil. He smiled down at it, grateful to Karyn for forcing him to get out of the apartment. Just as he was about to turn and head for home, he froze.

"Sorry," he said, "I didn't mean to bother you."

The person in front of him jumped, startled by his comment.

"Oh, um, I...sorry..."

Roran recognized the voice. "Sarah?"

In front of him, Alsarahnia gave a shy little wave. "Uh...Hello again."