Chapter 59 - King's Court

(1)

Roran replied to the invitation later that day. He scribbled a quick response accepting the position and, per the instructions on the letter, found a clerk to pass it off to. The clerk had accepted the letter without question or comment and left, leaving Roran to return home.

He'd planned to spend the rest of the day unpacking, polishing his sword, and otherwise settling in after a year of traveling on the road, something he still hadn't managed to do.

As Roran was unbuckling his sword belt, there came a knock at the door.

"It's Pelkha," said Sarah.

Roran sighed, re-buckled his belt, and headed for the door. Pelkha stood there with her hand poised to knock.

"Yes?" Roran asked.

Pelkha collected herself and said, "Roran, I'm here to collect you."

"Now?"

"Yes, now."

"I sent the letter less than an hour ago, how did it reach you already?"

"I'll explain after you come with me. Shall we?"

Bewildered, Roran said, "I suppose now is as good a time as any."

"Good, let's go."

Pelkha turned and left. Roran watched her go until she disappeared down the stairs. Realizing that she wasn't going to wait for him, Roran closed the door and hurried after her. He followed her out into the streets and through the city towards Mount Tasos. While she wore innocuous enough clothing, people moved out of the way for Pelkha, as if some unseen hand was gently pushing them to clear the streets.

The further they got from the center of the city, the less people they ran into, and the harder the climb became. They kept going until they reached a large set of double doors built into the side of the mountain. Pelkha kept pace and the doors opened upon her approach. As soon as they'd passed through, the doors swung shut behind Roran.

Inside was a tunnel of brick that was well lit by lanterns and fairy rock. The walls were decorated with swirling gold patterns and tapestries of King Tasos. The floor was covered in a plush red rug that stretched the length of the hallway. Servants and clerks milled about, all of them pausing and briefly nodding to Pelkha as she passed.

Pelkha led Roran to another set of doors that slid open as they approached. Inside was a small chamber covered in focus markings, with smooth orbs of fairy rock embedded into the walls. Upon entering, Roran realized that it was an elevator. Pelkha reached out and touched one of the orbs and the elevator began to smoothly glide upwards.

Roran felt Sarah tap him twice before saying, "It's completely different from the ones in Uhlara. There are no counter weights or chain mechanisms. It's completely run on soulstone."

Pelkha stared impassively at the door, the silver etchings on her face glimmering in the gentle light. She'd likely done this a dozen times a day for years, completely unimpressed by the feat of technology that had been the cornerstone of Uhlara's logistical accomplishments.

"There are a handful of safety mechanisms," Sarah went on, "So if something happens, the elevator won't just fall to the bottom. You know, I've never properly explored this area. I'm not sure why, I've just always avoided-"

Roran blinked, startled by Sarah's sudden silence. He subtly looked around the elevator, finding that she was gone.

"Something wrong?" asked Pelkha.

"No, just wondering how the elevator works."

"The same way as everything else in the city, fairy rock and focus markings."