Chapter 10 - Aftermath (2)

"Oops is right," said Nul, "Timara is pissed and has already asked that you take Barron's place in the duel."

"I mean, she has a pretty big bounty..."

"No!" Nul jabbed a finger in Kell's face. "You are not fighting Timara. You're beaten and bloody, and I didn't design your etchings for a one on one combat. You are not fighting her."

Kell flinched back. "Fine, I'll figure something out with her later."

"Figure something out with her never! She's insane. If you get involved with her she'll start attacking you in the streets."

"Only until I duel her, then we won't have to worry about it anymore."

"Because one of you will be dead."

"That's how this game works." Kell put her good hand on Nul's knee and smiled. "You know the risks of this lifestyle as well as I do. This is part of it."

Nul settled into silence. Roran twiddled his thumbs, trying not to stare at either of them. Instead, he watched the medic work.

The medic cleaned the open wounds and applied his salve to each one, sealing it shut. He then covered each wound with a bandage that adhered to Kell's skin. Once her facial wounds were done, the medic moved to her arm. He took a tube of the salve and injected it directly into Kell's stab wound, causing her to hiss in pain. Once more, he bandaged it up and moved on to the next injury, working with clinical coldness.

Taking Kell's injured hand, he said, "Several bones are broken. I'll splint it for now, but you'll need to see a healer for this."

Kell nodded.

"Is it hard to get a hold of a healer?" asked Roran, thinking of Toth.

"No, I keep one on retainer," said Kell. "This isn't the worst I've been through."

Nul glowered but kept their silence.

"Are they expensive?"

"The good ones are, but if you're desperate you can find some on the cheap."

"Do you think any would visit the dungeons?"

Kell shook her head. "No. I haven't heard of anyone being desperate enough to go into the dungeons, your friends will have to make do with what the Crucible has to offer."

Roran nodded and fell silent.

After bandaging Kell's hand, and binding it to a splint, the medic checked Kell for internal bleeding. Declaring her organs reasonably healthy, he departed.

"Finally! I need a bath, booze, and some broads."

Nul rolled their eyes. "Shouldn't you be more respectful towards women, given that you are one?"

"What do you mean? I'm disrespectful towards everyone."

Roran smiled. Kell's blasé attitude towards everything was relaxing. All of the world's problems could come and go and Kell would still have a grin and a carefree attitude.

Kell led the way out of the arena, ignoring the cheers and screams above them as the second round of the day started.

"Are we not going to watch the other rounds?" asked Roran.

"No," said Kell, "I don't have any more events and I want to get out of here before everyone else clogs up the streets and the taverns."

"But wouldn't it be better to stay and watch the other fighters, to see what techniques and weapons they use. Or to see the agility course?"