Chapter 7 - Karyn (1)

Roran watched Nul etch the two large symbols onto Kell's shoulders, then begin drawing a series of lines and patterns across her back, connecting the symbols. They did the majority of the marking in the black ink, but used the blue and red to add details and tie the markings together.

After completing a complex series of lines and symbols, Nul paused and settled their needles back into the dishes. Kell groaned and stretched, the markings rippling along her body as she flexed her lean muscles.

"Go stretch," said Nul, "I need a break."

"You don't have to tell me twice," said Kell, and she left the workshop without bothering to put her clothes back on.

"Does she always wander around naked?" asked Roran.

"Whenever she can get away with it," said Nul.

"Why?"

"I'm not sure. I've asked her but I never received a straight answer. I'm guessing it has to do with her past."

"Her past?"

"It's better if you don't ask," said Nul, standing and stretching as well. "This process will take several hours and I still won't finish tonight. You don't have to stay, I'm sure you would like to go get some rest."

Roran shrugged, he wasn't eager to return to his kinsmen.

"When will she receive her magic power?" asked Roran.

"It doesn't exactly work like that. The markings will give her unique abilities. Her abilities will grow as I add more markings and tie them together."

"So the more markings she has the stronger she becomes?"

"Not exactly," said Nul, scratching their head. "The more markings she has, the more she's able to focus her power, but it's still limited to her own innate ability and my skill in drawing and etching the markings."

"The power comes from her, you just give her a way to focus it," said Roran, the term 'focus markings' suddenly making sense.

"Exactly, and it's going to take a long time to cover her entire body in markings. You should go home and get some rest."

Roran nodded. He didn't want to go back but he was tired and Murrin would yell at him more for every minute he stayed out. The pair exited the workshop and found Kell chugging water in the kitchen.

Wiping her chin, she asked, "Ready to go again?"

Nul shook their head. "My wrist needs to recover. Roran needs to go home."

"Oh, fair enough. Well Roran, I guess we'll see you at the next Crucible. I mean, you won't see us, we'll be in the stands, but we'll see you."

"You won't be fighting in the Crucible again?"

Kell shook her head. "Can't, not now that I have focus markings again. It's forbidden, remember. Focus markings make it too easy to bully you dungeon fodder around."

Roran grimaced, thinking of Gress. He could still feel Gress's warm blood flowing down his chest when he thought about it for too long.

"Until then, I guess," said Roran.

"Oi, cheer up! We'll be around. As long as you survive we'll see each other again. And if you don't..." she shrugged, "Well I guess that won't be your problem then, will it?"

Roran smiled despite himself. Kell's gallows humor had a way of making him feel better.

"As you say. Until the next Crucible."

Roran traded grips with Kell. When he turned to Nul, they only arched an eyebrow at him then waved goodbye as he turned to leave. Neither offered to guide him back. Roran had a pretty good idea of the general direction of the Crucible and he could ask for directions if he got lost, now that he had a marker medallion and was legally allowed to wander freely. He wondered if he could just leave the dungeons as he pleased.