Chapter 35 - A Father's Request

(1)

Roran and Zan emerged from the mine and into the light of day. Pushing the mine cart along the track, Roran started heading towards the weighmaster.

"We did good today," said Zan.

Roran nodded and kept pushing, excited to be done for the day. It was his fourth day of working the mines with Zan and he was ready to go home and rest his aching feet. Roran pushed the cart away from the mines and up to a large mechanism with a line of miners standing in front of it. Roran came to a halt as they settled into line with the others.

"I don't think we've ever done this good!" Zan was still full of energy. No matter how much time they spent down in the mines, Zan was always in high spirits and ready for more. "You're a natural."

"I'm just following your example," said Roran.

The truth was that he was exhausted. Despite using his focus markings to compensate, working in the mines was a difficult endeavor. Without Nul's craftsmanship on his body, Roran wouldn't have lasted a day in the mines.

The line inched forward and Zan asked, "Did Pa want us to get lumps today?"

"Yeah, three," said Roran, pushing the cart forward. "He wanted an extra for the oven."

"That's right. You have such a good memory."

Zan shifted from foot to foot. He had a grin on his face and hummed a song out of key. Roran smiled at him. He liked Zan and he wasn't looking forward to leaving the boy alone again. After a moment, Roran started glancing around.

"Something wrong?" asked Zan.

"Looking for my guardian spirit. She's been gone longer than I expected."

"Are you worried about her?"

"Yeah. I don't think she can die, not like you and me, but I'm still worried about her. The last time I saw her she was pretty hurt. I just hope she's not in any pain."

"She must be pretty amazing if she looks after someone like you."

"She's the best," said Roran softly. "I just hope she's alright."

They reached the front of the line where a man with a clipboard motioned for them to stop. He wore a fine uniform that wasn't stained with coal or dust. He made sure to stand away from the miners, lest they get his uniform dirty.

"Go ahead," he said, motioning for Roran to push the cart onto a steel platform.

Roran rolled their cart full of coal onto the platform and stepped away. A dial above the platform showed the weight. The weighmaster marked it down and pulled out a small tin.

"Eighteen notes," he said, causing Zan to bounce up and down with excitement.

Another man in a pair of overalls took the cart and pulled it away from the platform, dragging it to one of the larger carts that could climb the stairs all the way up to the elevators. The weighmaster counted out eighteen slips of paper and handed them to Roran.

"See you again," said the weighmaster, and he motioned for the next miner to come forward.

"Eighteen notes!" Zan jumped up and clicked his heels together. "That's the most we've made all week!"

"It was a good load. We made good money today." Roran flipped through the slips of paper. He'd been surprised to learn that paper money was used down in the Lower Crags. Orlas had given him and his team a sack of coins to use while in Uhlara, nobody had said anything about paper notes. Roran wondered if it was similar to the Crucible using favors instead of coin.