Chapter 1

Soba (the lovely dumb author) update as of 1/15/23
To any new readers, I am sorry about the atrocity I have written in the beginning of this fic. I swear it got better. If you want to skip the beginning, the entrance exam starts on chapter 18. At least you can skip 17 chapters of horrible writing 🫠

School.

A place some kids would associate with hell, which Ophelia took offense to. To hang out with friends or make new ones. Some even enjoyed going, either because they loved learning, fill themselves with knowledge, or because it was their haven. Whether they wanted it or not. There were dark corners of the world that no one wanted to tread in. She, however, was one of those unfortunate souls, along with everyone like her, that was just part of that world from birth.

Now, she found herself outside of a school with kids that developed powers from the age they turned five. It had made it easier for her to blend herself in since she arrived there two weeks ago. Still, it didn't settle any nerves that riddled her bones or the way her eyes darted to her surroundings every few seconds.

With a grumble of incoherent slander, she shuffled her way past the gates and into the school. She had imagined the days she would walk back through a school, Nico by her side every time once things settled down. She got him to talk about what they would do once they went to school and joked about how he could have already graduated at least three times. The image of how he tried to hide his smirk behind a scowl at her brought fresh tears to her eyes but pushed them back.

The last thing Ophelia needed was to seem weak in front of people she didn't know. She didn't break before, and she won't do it now.

Ophelia flattened invisible wrinkles in the dark blue skirt. Under any other circumstances, she would have loved to wear skirts and go to school, but this wasn't normal for her. She was in no way relaxed even to enjoy the fact she could attend an actual school without being attacked. The shirt and tie hung loosely around her, and she was thankful for their lack of uniforms to fit appropriately. A proper-fitting necktie was not something she was ready to feel anytime soon. With a heavy sigh, Ophelia made her way to find the office.

The office wasn't hard to find, considering it was placed right by the entrance. Finding her classroom was another. It took her about five minutes just to decipher her schedule. Stupid English. Stupid dyslexia. Stupid school. Her ADHD was something she couldn't hide while she was receiving treatment after Shota found her. She kept a few things to herself in case everything there was a lie.

It wasn't.

No monsters attacked. No Gods. No Gaea. No war. Worst of all, there was no Camp Half-Blood or Camp Jupiter.

If it wasn't for Shota, Ophelia felt like she would have spiraled off the edge. Even now, she was putting the pieces back together herself.

It took Ophelia another ten minutes to find her classroom. Everyone seemed more engrossed in whispering than actually trying to engage in conversation with her themselves. She eventually was able to get directions from a student she stopped in the hallway. She barely made it to her classroom door when a shrill bell rang, setting all her muscles on high alert. Gods!

That would take her some time to get used to.

She took a few deep breaths to quell her racing heart. To soothe her nerves, she knocked on the door. She could hear the whispers on the other side of the door as footsteps grew closer before the door slid open.

"Ah, you must be Aizawa Ophelia. Am I correct?" A man in his mid-forties with blond hair spoke down at her.

"Yes," Ophelia replied, monotone. The way he spoke towards her was something she didn't expect right off the bat.