Chapter 2

Jolting awake, she could feel the cold sweat rolling down her back and the side of her face. Eyes darting around the room, taking in where she is, to remind herself it was only a nightmare-not even that. She was reliving a memory. Taking deep breaths to get her racing heart and breathing under control, she ran a hand through her hair. At least this time, she didn't wake Shota up. He never gets enough sleep as is. No reason to add to something he can't fix.

Glancing at the bright green digits on her dresser, 4:34 am. "There's no way I'll be able to get any more sleep tonight."

Getting changed into a green tank-top and a pair of black workout shorts, she headed downstairs quietly. Grabbing a glass of water, she downed it quickly before placing it by the sink.

For the past few days, she had almost the same recurring nightmare. She had tried to sleep it back off a few times, hoping they wouldn't come back.

It worked... once.

The rest was spent trying to get her mind off it with anything she could think of. Watching the night sky turn to dawn, TV shows she thought she'd never watch, playing the default games on the phone Ophelia was still getting used to before she got frustrated with those giving up entirely.

Jogging and training became her go-to's. Although, at this hour, she'd have to resort to jogging. The last thing she wanted was to wake Shota with any noise.

Leaving a short note on the counter, she put on her shoes and quietly shut the door behind her. Starting at a slow jog on the path she usually took and felt relieved as the cool air whipped around her clammy skin.

Running helped clear her mind, for the most part. Most of all, it kept her in shape.

It wasn't like she could stop either. It didn't feel right. Her mind would wander where she didn't want to return to and people she would never see again.

Her first week was a disaster. She was on edge more than she was now. Any and each scenario she could think of led to a dead end until she ultimately gave in to her situation, dwindling any hope she had.

Shota was always there after each failure. He never gave false words. Which she was grateful for. He knew not to treat her like a typical fourteen-year-old. Not after she had to explain most of what she had been through. She could tell Shota knew she was hiding more, and she was even more grateful when he never pushed it.

He was patient.

Ophelia expected him to lose it with her at least once, like most adults.

Catching her breath as she stood back in front of the door. Clothes clung to her skin with more sweat. Walking through the door, she walked into the kitchen for another glass of water before she wanted to shower.

"Just a normal run or nightmare?"

And there he was; what's that saying mortals say? Speak of the devil, and he shall appear?

"Does it matter?'

"If you want to talk about it, I'm always here to listen. It sometimes helps to get it out," Shota whispered.

It was as if he thought she would shatter trying to talk about it. Ophelia knew it was just her mind telling her that. The guilt of that ate her consciousness away.

"No, thank you," she replied, casting her eyes downward. He knew most of what would cause her nightmares, but these were different. He didn't know about what plagued her. She refused to talk to someone he and Detective Tsukauchi could recommend. She didn't want to tell anyone, even under its pretense of being kept tightly under wraps.