Chapter 38

Edgeshot had given her time to freshen up before they headed out in pairs. Ophelia silently praised the standards of heroes needing to look somewhat presented as her shirt had clung to her back in sweat. It wasn't a new feeling after the times it had happened, but there was no telling how long they'd be on patrol, and if she were ever given the chance, she would gladly take it too quickly, shower and change. 

She met Edgeshot at the entrance. Kei also stood by, catching her eye first as she approached.

"You ready, rookie?" He smirked at her as he straightened from the pillar he leaned on. 

Ophelia raised an eyebrow before it clicked, and she pointed a finger at him. "You're Prismatic?"

Kei feigned a look as he held a hand over his heart. "You make it sound like a bad thing."  

"No. Just unexpected, but it does explain your personality," she replied, shrugging one shoulder. 

"You wound me, rookie," Kei sighed sarcastically as he swung an arm around her shoulder. 

"She may be a rookie in this agency, Prismatic, but she has talent. She held herself against Kilo quite well earlier," Edgeshot spoke up, earning a surprised look from Kei. 

He smirked as he faced her, stepping away. "Well, well. Look at the not-so-rookie stepping up in the world. Eager to prove yourself?"

Ophelia wanted to scowl at the question but held it back. She rolled her eyes, hoping it would come off as a sarcastic move more than an annoyance. "There's no need to prove something in a spar, but I'm not one to back down. I don't expect anyone to hold back on me because I won't do the same." 

"True," Kei replied. "Most kids your age would feel the need to prove themselves while they intern. That is until they get out there and see the real thing."

She had no doubt his words were valid for everyone there. They weren't so different from any camper that was never able to leave the borders before. Everyone used to be excited about the thrill of defeating a monster or completing a quest and coming back victorious. To prove yourself or see what you were made of out there. 

It was the same thing every hero-in-training wanted. To go out and apprehend their first villain. But egos could get in some of their ways if they let it. If they let what happened at USJ go to their head, they'd put not only themselves but others in harm's way. It was a disturbing thought for her, and she hoped they at least had a decent head on their shoulders not to do something stupid. 

"Everyone else was given their orders and patrol areas. Let's head out," Edgeshot instructed, turning away as he walked down the path. 

Ophelia and Kei walked behind him in step together. She wanted to ask why they walked instead of using vehicles but decided against it. She didn't want to shatter the imagination she had on why they didn't use them. 

"So," Kei began. "Why use your name as a hero name?"

"Why Prismatic and not Prismo?" 

"Touche." He smirked, but he didn't push further.    

                             ~~*—*~~

Edgeshot had gone over everything about his agency as they made their way to the city. Some information she knew from Kei, others seemed to be the tiny bits of how everyone worked smoothly together and the preferences he preferred to have to keep everyone as safe and content as possible. If he repeated some of what Kei said to test her ability to remember or to clarify anything Kei had missed, she didn't know, but she would absorb the information as much as she could.