Chapter 56

Ophelia stared up at the building in front of them. It wasn’t how tall or glamorous it was on the outside, nor was it what it held inside that bothered her. It was what would happen on the inside that did.

A test.

Scenarios to put those who sought to be called heroes in situations that would be then monitored and graded in a way that would either allow them to pass or ultimately fail at having the title Hero.

The idea itself was ridiculous, yet that was the requirements put before them. A score put together by someone else deemed worthy by someone before them. A history of heroes that one had previously thought did no harm and followed justice. In a way, they had it half right. Yet, all Ophelia saw were heroes pitting against each other for a spot that should never be there. A pedestal that one sat upon that everyone looked up to, praised, and expected everything from. To fight for them, protect them, and be everywhere in the nick of time.

What they didn’t realize was the toll it took on that person. The mental strain to do whatever you can to keep that image up. The emotional damage it did when you failed and thousands of eyes watched it happen; questioning why you didn’t do something different. Why you didn’t save one of their loved ones or take the villain down sooner.

Why?

What right did those who stood there have a say in anything? The fear that took hold of them and gripped them by their limbs, couldn’t be said for those who stood face to face with someone that wanted to wrong another person. They didn’t lock up and cower back behind someone else. They didn’t wait for someone else to come save them, because in the end, no one would but those who stood beside them would. It was a give and give and give… with no return. It was why Ophelia would have preferred to stay in the shadows while being a hero. Because she knew and yet she was far to different to be able to do that now.

Her face had been plastered in the papers and news channels that she ignored, just as Shouta had never brought up anything that he kept up with. She didn’t care what the people said, or the scenarios they came up with to fill in the blanks that she wouldn’t appease by talking about. it wasn’t their life. And there wasn’t much any of them could do to help.

“All the teachers will be spectating the exam.” Shouta turned to her. “So won’t some of the council members that hosts them.”

“Of course. It wouldn’t be one of those lower members watching though, will it?”

Shouta’s answer was short, and straight to the point. “Unlikely.”

“Can they do that?”

Ophelia glanced to Tsu who had caught up to them.

Yaoyozoru was the first to respond, passing the words she saw Katsuki begin to speak. “It’s not like we could say they have ill intentions watching the exam when they oversee all of them.”

“But–”

“There’s nothing we can do.”

“O!” Mina cried out, staring at her with wide-eyes. “They can’t do that to a student. Let alone call you out single-handily because you were targeted.”

“Mina’s right, Ophelia,” Yaoyozoru added.

Ophelia glanced to Shouta, but his gaze was trained straight ahead on the building they walked into.

It didn’t matter what the council did, because she didn’t trust them.

“Let them. If they think I’ll back down because they hold all the authority and demand respect for the seat they sit in, they don’t know what it means to fight for those they protect.”