Chapter 37

Edgeshot's headquarters wasn't big, but it had more of a home feeling than it did a place just to come and do work. Most of the rooms were made up of quarters where everyone slept. Some stayed there long-term, and others didn't bother to go home after a long day. Each floor had a designated bathroom for each gender so they could shower all at once, making it easier to get ready in the morning without waiting for one to free up.

She retook a tour of the place to familiarize herself with it before she wandered back into the break room, which she deemed to start calling the dining hall—for that was what she was used to. The first thing she noticed was the enticing smell of something delicious as she stepped into the room. The next was the mild but pleasant chatter that glided to her ears. There were a few others in there, one standing in the kitchen area with a steaming pot, while others sat at the tables or playing video games.

"Hey, rookie."

Ophelia turned to find a blue-haired boy, who appeared to be a few years older than her, waving her over by the consoles. She debated for a second, glancing at the kitchen area before she caught the eyes of the one cooking.

"Go on." He nodded his head in the other direction with a small smile. "I was making enough for everyone anyways. Best to get to know who's around while you can. Name's Haku, by the way."

"Thanks, Haku," she replied with a nod.

"Ain't no problem, kid. Go have fun and kick his ass for me."

She smiled in reply, appreciating the encouragement, but she was sure it would be the other way around. She could never get a lot of time around the consoles to grasp the concept of any of the games the Stolls, well, stole. Especially when she got her own cabin, it was exciting, but it also felt empty. It was why she spent a lot of time with Nico or kept herself busy with anything to do around camp.

"Ever play seven days to die? Names Ryoichi, by the way. All the others are too scared to play with me." Ryoichi smirked as he gestured to the chair next to him.

"Oi!" A voice shouted from one of the tables. "Those things are atrocious looking, and they cluster together like a herd of Alpacas, making it harder to kill them!"

"You hate Alpacas cause of that one villain you had trouble with."

The male wasn't bulky, but she could see the defined muscles from working out. A scar ran down the right side of his face from under his eye to his jaw. Amethyst eyes seemed to glow against his dark hair. She couldn't tell if it was black or a rich brown from where she stood, but they reminded her of Hecate's magic.

"Shut up, Mai. We agreed not to talk about that."

"Ignore them," Ryoichi spoke, waving a hand as if it was normal. "The Alpaca phobia weirdo is Amon. The other is Mai, which was obvious."

She glanced at Ryoichi but had become invested in knowing what happened with Alpacas. It was obviously something Amon didn't want to talk about, so she deduced it to be something embarrassing.

"I don't have a fear of Alpacas! You'll pay for that, Ryo!" Amon shouted with a growl as he glared at Ryoichi.

"Ophelia," she introduced to the two at the tables.

"We all know who you are," Mai replied, giving a warm smile. "Ironic that we work in stealth but gossip amongst each other like a bunch of blabbermouths."

Mai seemed tenderhearted with soft mint eyes that stood out against her deep red curls that cascaded down her back in a ponytail.

Looks could always be deceiving, which was why one would trust their instincts, the little voice in the back of their head that gave the flight or fight response. It was what reassured Ophelia to feel comfortable around those in the headquarters. She wouldn't trust them with her life story, but enough that she didn't feel threatened and could relax around them.