Chapter 41

Police and firefighters were directing people to paramedics as they walked out of the alley. Heroes walked around checking the corpses of the Nomu's, picking up the rubble from the buildings, cleaning up the smashed glass, and fixing the terrain from the fight.

She let the feeling surge through her, releasing it as the ground rumbled beneath their feet, spreading out from her as the ground rectified, making the grass and vegetation surrounding the area flourish. A wave of exhaustion washed over her as Kei caught her around the shoulder as she stumbled forward.

"You shouldn't use your quirk if you're at your limit."

"If I can make it easier for everyone else to clean up the mess, a little exhaustion is nothing," she replied, leaning onto Kei for support. She wished she could pull out an ambrosia square and take a bite or even have some nectar, but she'd have to wait until they returned to the headquarters.

Kei grunted in response as he held her tighter, probably afraid she'd slump over if he didn't.

A black silhouette appeared in front of her. Her breathing picked up as her mind conjured the image of a swirling cloak. She followed it up slowly, feeling her chest tighten before she stared into Shouta's tender gaze and making her body relax. She bit her lip as everything slammed into her full force.

"I'm sorr–"

"I'm only glad you're okay," Shouta cut her off as she leaned into him. He pulled her into a tight embrace as her body began to shake.

Her resolve weakened in his arms. The unshed tears she held back to keep her facade up pushed forth as her shaking hands reached up and clung to his shirt. She didn't think it would feel so relieving, yet so agonizing, as she let everything she held in go. Her side ached as she shook in his embrace, but she welcomed the physical pain.

"Where are you hurt?" Shouta asked after a while, taking a step away to examine herself.

"It's nothing I can't handle."

"Don't let her fool you. She took a pretty good hit when they slammed her into a building," Kei commented with a scoff.

"They? Wait, is that gold dust?" Shouta questioned with narrowed eyes as he took in the speckles still on their clothes.

"Prismatic said it was part of their quirk," Edgeshot added.

The silence was deafening as they stood around her. Edgeshot was calm yet curious by Shouta's worry. Kei stood silently while Shouta tensed as he stared down at her.

"We can discuss that later. You two need to get your wounds checked."

Ophelia nodded, heading to the waiting medics to get herself checked while Edgeshot went around quickly to ensure everything was settled before they headed back. The sting from the antiseptic that kept her grounded was a dull pain compared to her mental torment as her mind whirled with everything that had happened. It was better to have her injuries noted down than seem fine the next day after his quick examination.

She was glad once the medic announced her wounds were cleaned while her ribs were only bruised, which she was thankful for. She couldn't explain why a fractured rib had healed quickly in a few days. The atmosphere between the other Shouta and Kei had steadily grown with each moment she was more than ready to get the night over with. She knew Shouta was worried more about her secret becoming known than the situation. Kei, however, didn't know that as Shouta's eyes glanced over him now and then. It made her wonder what emotions Kei saw in them and what his mind interpreted with everything he heard. Fear and tension were the most prominent of the emotions she felt at that moment.

"If you really want to do this–" Shouta glanced at her, continuing when she nodded– "it shouldn't be done in the open."

"We can speak in my office," Edgeshot insisted as he glanced around them.