Chapter 5

Ophelia didn't think being asked what she wanted to do for her future would have such an impact on her. A future was something she didn't know she would have the privilege of living. Sure, she had her thoughts on possibilities and dreamed of specific jobs. The last time she ever let her mind dream that far was with Nico. They barely got time to recover after the first war, mentally, before getting thrust into another.

Now there she was, stuck trying to sort a future out she didn't think she deserved. She could take the option Bakugo joked about before, opening a floral shop or something along the lines and living a quiet life. But she wasn't even sure if she could do that.

Would she be able to ignore everything around here that was happening and not lift a finger to help? Could she live with herself being on the sidelines when she was used to fighting for what was right? Could she turn a blind eye to the cruel world and pretend to live in bliss? Would it make her just as bad as the enemies if she did that?

Bakugo and Midoriya were training to become a Hero, number one at that, and she knew it wasn't an easy road. She knew Bakugo was different from many people who aimed for it, though. He didn't want the fame, glory, or money that came with the title. He didn't care what everyone thought of him or how they perceived him. His goal in mind was to be the best at what he wanted. With or without the recognition of the people, he would still protect them.

She had only been able to speak to Midoriya during class. He was always running out, saying he had to train or study. He never gave off the vibe that he wanted glory. He always seemed genuine when talking about wanting to help and help people. He always went on about All Might, the current Number One Hero, and how he wanted to be just like him.

Pro-hero. Ophelia watched certain heroes on the news that wore flashy outfits, appeared to save the day, or took the spotlight from another just to get the publicity. How well did many of those heroes know what that word meant?

It made her even more grateful for Shota to be the one who found and took her in. He didn't care for any of that. He seemed to take being a teacher seriously, primarily because of his dry personality.

She didn't know much about All Might, but it was laughable how he looked like Captain America on steroids. Which, in her opinion, was almost a disgrace to the character. He seemed to take his job seriously from what she saw, but he was always wearing a smile, and she didn't know how to feel about that. On the one hand, it reassured the people and everyone who watched him. To her, though, a smile can hide everything underneath it. The hurt, pain, lies, guilt, and depression. She guaranteed some people had died on his watch while trying to save them. Did he still smile through it, hiding the pain from everyone else? Or was he hiding the pain from himself? Were people so fragile Hero's couldn't even mourn a life they couldn't save? They were still human underneath the costume too. Yes, emotions can sometimes be a hassle when fighting your enemy, but she had seen where the right emotions could help during battle. Was this where she was overthinking because she was used to fighting in life or death situations and not subduing and capturing?

Clouds formed shapes that she called off through her mind as they passed by. The cool breeze blew through the backyard, the subtle tickle from the grass as it brushed against her bronze skin that gleamed in the sun. It was a tranquil distraction from everything for once.

She could hear the back door close and footsteps as they made their way towards her. Whispers invaded her ears on the approaching figure that she didn't even have to turn her head to know Shota took a seat down beside her.

He didn't say anything, having a feeling of the disturbance the last few days. Ophelia had a look in her eyes every time she glanced his way. The curiosity and unknown lingered on the surface, but he knew not to push until she was ready. Shota wanted her to have a choice. Choose her path and where she wanted to take it.