Chapter 50

The sound of a repetitive beep made its way through the darkness that blanketed Ophelia. The noise was annoying in the comfort that shrouded her.

She wanted it to stop so she could continue to sleep. A small prickle on the back of her neck told her she should wake up. She ignored it. She didn't want to listen to that small portion that she knew was right. Something made her not want to leave the comfort of the place she was in.

Whatever or wherever that was.

It was warm, given that she couldn't see anything around her. She could have receded into her mind and would never know it. In a field of crisp dew grass in the morning with her eyes closed. Falling into an endless pit while she reminisced, knowing her life would end.

Her finger twitched at her side to see if she could feel grass at her side. The tickle as the top points of the grass glided across her skin. The joy that flowed through her while the air blew by, dancing through the same grass she laid upon. The sun was shrouded by clouds every so often and overlooked by those who passed under it. Its warmth basked her skin, giving it the tan she would always get during the summer until it faded away in fall.

She liked the sun and the warmth it gave off, don't get her wrong, but she loved the dark. Whether it had something to do with the other side of her mother's powers or the way the moon's glow set on top of the water, it gave a different perspective to its life than during the day. A portion of the world that no one was awake ever to see or appreciate. And no one bothered her then. She wouldn't trade those she cared for for anything, but she also loved the solitude it brought. It could be why she felt so carefree wherever she was.

Frustration coursed through her when they wouldn't move more than that. It was like they had no strength to curl into a fist and grasp anything in front of it, let alone air.

What if she just laid there and didn't bother anymore? She was tired, and if her body was too, who was she to tell herself no? Why did she have to wake up? And to what? Didn't she deserve more sleep if she wanted it? It sure felt like she deserved it. She had done enough for people to last her a third lifetime.

Ophelia remembered being outside after a nightmare at the camp. Her talk with Shouta had been brief, yet his words had stuck. But was he right? His words would have drifted in and out of her mind, but nothing after that came to her.

She could hear voices nearby, but couldn't make out their words or who was speaking. It made Ophelia wonder if they plotted how they should wake her up. A bucket of water? Wouldn't be the first time it happened to her. Jump carelessly and suck the breath of life out of her? Also, not the first time it would have happened. It would have been better for her to get up than listen to the others complain about how she could sleep in when they couldn't. Training would be draining enough as it was, let alone having a few bruised ribs, if they chose the latter option.

How did she get back to bed, she wondered. Did Shouta carry her when he came to check on her? She didn't remember falling asleep outside, yet she couldn't put it past herself with everything that had happened till then. She was drained-physically, mentally, and emotionally. All at the mere age of fifteen.

Is this how you felt, Percy? No wonder why you wanted to be free from being the hero.

Ophelia couldn't tell if she closed her eyes or not. It pained her to know what he had gone through. The silent screams that echoed in his mind that he couldn't let out. The frustration at the gods for what they had to go through because of their ancient laws. It was never right, but they did it anyway because they had friends and family to fight for.

Trying to sit up, she found moving any part of her body difficult. Her limbs felt like lead when she tried to move a part of her body. She could feel a slight tingle at her side that shot up her side to her shoulder whenever she tried to move. Why did training feel like a giant hit her? She didn't remember training hard enough that her muscles would strain under her weight and be unable to move. She had far worse injuries that rendered her unable-Ophelia pushed the comfort she felt around her away and strained everything in her to sit herself up.