Chapter 39

Pain rippled down her spine as her back hit the dirt, and a groan of curses escaped past her lips. She almost regretted teasing Kei all the time, but he never held back against her with his sword or dagger. It was what made their banter worth it since she felt he was a close friend than an acquaintance

She had to give it to Kei. He wasn't boosting his ego when he told her he was good. She thought she learned a lot from Luke before he… left, but Kei had taught moves she had never seen before, and Edgeshot would step in from where he stood, watching over her training. Her routine had gotten relatively more straightforward as the days went on. Edgeshot would patrol in the morning and again in the evening while others went out to take their place. Her downtime at the headquarters was for lunch, while Edgeshot had paperwork to handle. That was one of the downsides to being a hero—paperwork. If there was ever a downside she loathed at that moment, it was that. Dyslexia and paperwork did not go in the same sentence together, but it would be something she'd have to do at some point. 

"That's enough," Kei announced, bending over as he placed his hands on his knees. 

"Tired already, gramps?" She retorted with a groan, even though she herself was out of breath. 

"We're not all energized by the sun like you, Lia."

She snorted at his comeback but didn't remark since he was right. She lifted herself off the ground, holding onto her side where Kei had kicked her not long ago, knowing it would bruise after a while. He seemed like a slim twenty-something-year-old man, but he had muscles hidden underneath it all.

She took a big gulp of water before she made her way over to Edgeshot. He had offered pointers one night, and since she wanted to push further each time, she was willing to see how far she could go while she was there. Whether they had second thoughts about her doing it or not, they never stopped her, but they would stop the match or training when they thought she had enough, and she couldn't say anything against it. Cause what fifteen-year-old could go beyond muscle exhaustion and fatigue? Not a normal one. 

"You had an opening earlier, and you didn't take it. You froze just when you could have ended it. I'm not sure what happened, but Kei wouldn't have accepted being your partner if a little blood had stopped him. It wouldn't stop anyone, villains alike, if you didn't follow through. Even though I've never seen you there, we have a medical center for things like that if they happen." 

Ophelia knew Edgeshot had a keen eye, but she hoped he didn't see that earlier. She couldn't exactly follow through with it when Kei slowed his movements at the last minute, observing her attack with calm and collected eyes. Her dagger would have gone through his shoulder rather than pierced him, raising questions. She knew it would be better to buy steel daggers, but she wasn't ready to give up the comfort of the celestial bronze she was used for years. Eventually, she'd have to give in before it became a liability. 

"Just wasn't expecting him to slow down." It was a weak excuse, she knew, yet it was all her mind could spit out as she felt Kei's gaze pierce the side of her head. She didn't know if he was beginning to notice something and wanted to trip her up in training or test her ability to follow through. 

There was a pregnant pause as Edgeshot didn't say anything as he stared at her. She almost began to fidget where she stood before he hummed in reply, telling her training was done for the day and to meet up for patrol at the entrance later, walking away. 

She breathed a sigh of relief when he didn't question her further, hanging her head down. 

"You know he didn't buy it, but he won't ask. In all honesty, we've never seen daggers like yours, and Edgeshot might not notice, but you never let your daggers meet anything but my sword."