Chapter 30

“The first game of the first-year stage is finally over. Now, take a look at the results!” Midnight announded, holding a hand in the air flat out. 

The results were displayed a few at a time on the screen. 42 contestants had made it through and she knew the first four, considering she was right behind Katsuki and Todoroki, but she was glad to see that everyone in class A had made it. 

“The real competition begins next! The press cavalry’ll be all over it! Give it your all!” Midnight raised her hand, snapping it back down. “Now then, here is the second game. I already know what it is, but what could it be? What could it be? I just said it, and now here it is…”

Ophelia narrowed her eyes before the words jumbled back together. A cavalry battle? If their cavalry battle was anything like their capture the flag, she wouldn’t mind something like that. She had years of experience on those. She smirked over at Katsuki, who returned the gesture with a nod. 

“Let me explain,” Midnight continued, turning to the screen as an image of Thirteen and Hizashi holding All Might popped up. “The participants can form teams of two to four people as they wish. It’s basically the same as a regular cavalry battle, but the one thing that’s different is… based on the results of the last game, each person has been assigned a point value.”

Points started from five from 42nd place and went all the way up to ten million for first place. Ophelia’s eyes widened in shock before she covered her mouth to suppress the laugh as Midoriya began to sweat and drained of all color. 

“Those at the top will suffer more. You’ll hear this many times as you attend U.A. This is what “Plus Ultra” means!” Midnight shouted, snapping the whip in her hand at Midoriya. “Midoriya Izuku, who placed first in the qualifier, is worth ten million points! 

She couldn’t blame him, all eyes turned to him as if he was the golden fleece that they had spent years searching for. Her position wouldn’t be the greatest with Katsuki either, but greed had a way with people who would rather rise to the top than take what they could get along the way. She never aimed to be the top or noticed more than her peers, but she would do anything to help those who wanted to—and that meant her hot-headed boyfriend who glared at Midoriya with determination. Katsuki may have come a long way in a short time, but finding out Midoriya had a quirk or got one—she wasn’t sure on which it was because she never had a conversation with Midoriya to find out what the souls inside of him were doing—set him over the edge in frustration. Whether that was at himself or not, she didn’t know. They both had their problems opening up on their feelings that delved past their feelings for each other. 

Midnight explained their time limit was fifteen minutes and each team was worth the total of its members’ points while the riders would wear a headband stating their teams worth. To gain points, they had to steal the other team's headbands and keep them before the time ran out. It all came down to how many people would be on a team to know how many teams they had to go up against. Ophelia didn’t think it was a hard concept to follow, besides not being able to make others fall off purposely. She heard Kasuki make a refute at that and she could only agree. It wasn’t like they were trying to maim or kill them.

Ophelia began to walk over to Katsuki once their fifteen minutes of team building began. Mina had come bounding over asking to be on a team with her while with many others asked to be on Bakugou’s. 

“Oh, did Bakugou chose his team already?” Kirishima asked, putting a hand on Hagakure as he came through. “Bakugou, team up with me!”

“Weird hair.”

“I’m Kirishima! At least try to remember! My hair’s not that different from yours! You’re gonna be the rider, right? Then who’ll be a front horse that can take your blasts?”