Chapter 46

Ophelia sprang up from the mattress, a scream lodged in her throat. Her hand grasped the shirt over her chest. Leaning forward, her hand gripped the blanket that fell into her lap. The chilled voice still echoed in her mind, bounding against the confines of her mind, forming a headache that buzzed with persistence.

The room felt hot and humid against her clammy skin. Her back felt chilly against the shirt that clung to it. 

Standing up slowly, she tiptoed past the other girls and slid out the door. The hallway was empty, dimly lit by a light at the end of the hall. She half expected a teacher to be up, wandering the halls for anyone—Mineta, who decided to get out of bed late. She wouldn't complain about the lack of it. It made sneaking outside for fresh air easier. Sleep wasn't going to come easily after that, and staying inside the room with other girls that snorted slightly was not something she wanted. 

Walking out the building, she closed her eyes and let the cool air wrap around her. She could feel the goosebumps roll up her arms but did nothing to stop it. The slight chill felt good against her body’s warmth and the headache. She sat on one of the stumps lying around and stared up at the night sky. The moon’s glow stared back at her, reminding her of Artemis—the goddess of the hunt and moon. It lacked the regular comfort one would get from staring up at it. She couldn’t pray to the Goddess and seek guidance at night like she used to. 

Flicking a finger out, white flowers spread outward in the open field. Their petals opened up, shining in the light from their respective name in the sky. It was one of her favorite flowers at night. It didn’t pay the same homage as the queen-of-the-night, but she found the flower far more beautiful. Her mother always told her it didn’t matter what Artemis said; what they deemed the best was said to be so. She’d never say that to Artemis’s face for fear of receiving the wrath of the moon goddess for her opinion. As long as she respected them all outwardly, Artemis didn’t seem to care that she favored others more. 

Everything held more meaning to it than it used to. Moonflowers caught everyone’s eyes when they bloomed outside Hermes’ cabin. She loved growing ones during the day and another at night each week. 

"What was it this time?"

Ophelia didn't turn to face Shouta. He'd always given her the space she needed before he came to check on her. It was his job as a teacher, but there was always a distinct difference between being her teacher and her dad and now being one of those moments where he didn't come to her as a teacher. 

“A nightmare, I think. It’s hard to tell what’s a demigod dream and what he torments me with anymore.” That scared her more than anything. The fact she couldn’t tell what was becoming false in her mind over the truth. She heard the man’s voice from the alley, but whether her mind took root from the fear she had or a dream that would happen was something she couldn’t differentiate. It gave her no warning about what might happen like she was used to, and not knowing if she had put them all in danger, even with the school’s thought-out plan, ate away at her. 

Shouta’s footsteps moved closer to where she sat, a thunk being heard beside her where another log now lay. He didn’t say anything for a while, sitting silently beside her. 

“I can’t say anything that would take away your fear, not without lying, and that’s something I won’t do. You know better than they do what it’s like to have something chase after you, whether in your mind or real life. We took every precaution we could think of, but there’s no guarantee of anything. Just that no matter what, we’ll do everything possible to protect all of you.”