Chapter 57

Suggesting a scenario that revolved around a game had turned out better than she expected when all of class 1-a made it through the first round.

And she had made it before Katsuki.

His ruby eyes flared when he saw her there first, but she saw the admiration hidden underneath the heat that always scorched the surface.

Their upbeat smiles only turned hesitant when they walked through the doors to see the other students stare openly at them. And Ophelia made it a point to keep them occupied by asking what obstacles they used to win, turning the conversation to something other than what was before them. Even she didn’t know what the next test would be, and they wouldn’t announce it until the last student had made it through.

And it felt like hours before that student came through the doors. Mera Yokumiru stood once again on a podium in front of a mic. He coughed, glancing somewhere off to the side before he began. “The next test is to see how well you can work together. The objective is to rescue and protect all the civilians in this scenario. Your scores will be based on your performance.”

Ophelia felt that his wording was odd. She wasn’t sure if it she was overthinking his words, or the instinct that there was more than what he said.

“Good luck.”

Midoriya turned to her, seeming confused and trying to figure something out. “What do you think he meant?”

Ophelia didn’t get a chance to respond when the ground shook and the walls around them trembled, falling outward and crashed to the ground. The force blew dust all around them, creating a barrier that blocked the view around them.

“No…” she whispered once the cloud of dust began to settle, giving way to the setting.

Katsuki’s voice turned gravelly beside her. “Those bastards.”

“Is this a joke?” Ophelia didn’t get a response. Why would she? It was like shoving a knife into her side as she stared at the scene before her. The familiar buildings that had crumbled to the ground, smoke and debris that had flung every where, while flames licked the side of buildings and blazed with sizzling heat out windows.

Mina’s voice was strained as the words left her mouth in a whisper. “This is…”

“Yeah. Yeah, it is,” Ophelia said, clenching her hands into fists as fury coiled through her veins.

Ophelia didn’t know their end game, or what they tried to say by the scenario they gave them, but either way, she didn’t like it. If they meant to see what she could do, they succeeded, but she wouldn’t follow the rules. That’s what they wanted and Ophelia wouldn’t play by their rules. Not when she knew the corruption that played under their hands.

Her gaze swept to the stand where she saw Shouta and Hizashi sitting. She could see their expression, but she could tell the way Hizashi was sitting, wasn’t one of a relaxed man watching a provisions exam. She quickly found Madam President in the stands. Her eyes narrowed with every intent to show them how wrongly they had crossed her and Katsuki. Her mother may have been a forgiving goddess in most cases, but she held a mean streak that could out rival Hades when it came down to it and they had pushed her against a wall.

A horrible place to out a demigod that had fought to survive and protect even those that had nothing to do with their world.

Ophelia had played nice up to that point. Keeping her head down and doing what she knew—the only thing she knew. And they did this? It made her wonder who the real villains were.

Before Mera Yokumiru could say begin, Ophelia began barking out orders. “Anyone that can control water, put those fires out; now. Anyone with long distant fighting, keep your eyes outward and those with short distant fighting, find the injured and get them away from the buildings or into one that hasn’t had a corrupt foundation.”