Chapter 29

Training became more prominent at school as they neared the festival. She sparred with Ojiro, who more than willingly agreed. She didn’t want to let up on her training, even if they used their quirks more than regular fighting. Letting go of the basics she knew and relying solely on her powers would be a risky move in the long run. 

The sports festival was upon them quicker than any of them anticipated. 

Ophelia sat at the table with Tsu, Uraraka, and Hagakure in the waiting room, already changed into their gym uniforms. Mina complained about wanting to wear their hero costumes, but she could understand why they were made to wear their gym uniforms. Their hero costumes made it advantageous with their quirks, this way it was fair no matter your quirk and no equipment. 

Ida burst into the room, asking if everyone was ready because they would be entering. Before anyone could stand up, Todoroki had approached Midoriya and everyone waited with bated breath. 

“Looking at things objectively, I think I’m stronger than you.”

She was right along with Midoriya at his surprised expression. That wasn’t what she expected to come from Todoroki, but then again, the boy didn’t have a sarcastic bone in his body from the experience she had with him and obviously no filter. 

“But… All Might has his eye on you, doesn’t he? I’m not trying to pry about that. But I’m going to beat you,” Todoroki stated, his gaze holding more determination than the expressionless he usually had. 

Ophelia whistled as Kaminari seemed to get excited at another declaration of war from the best in the class. 

“Hey, hey! Why are you picking a fight all of a sudden?” Kirishima asked cautiously as he placed a hand on Todoroki’s shoulder. “Not now, we’re about to start!” 

“We’re not here to play at being friends. So what does it matter?” Todoroki replied, shrugging off Kirishima as he turned around and began to walk away. 

She admired the speech Midoriya gave after that. He was the same soft-spoken who could admit his faults openly but still held onto his determination to improve and take his place beside everyone else. She glanced at Mina as they walked side-by-side, giving her a smile and thumbs up. Mina giggled, throwing her arms into the air with an excited shout. 

Ophelia rubbed her ear as they walked down the corridor, forgetting how loud Hizashi could be when he got excited about something grand. 

“The U.A. sports festival! The huge battle where fledgling heroes sharpen their swords once a year! Anyways, these are the guys, right? The miraculous new stars who overcame enemy attacks with their hearts of steel! Hero course, Class 1-A, right!?”

If she could slap that man, she would have. As if it wasn’t already plastered on the news before, it was again that day. What was miraculous about becoming a new star because of a sudden attack by some hand-fetish guy who had a childish temperament? She also doubted anyone but the support class had any idea on how to sharpen a sword either. 

She glanced at Katsuki, seeing the smirk on his face as he replied to Kirishima. Her classmates were either nervous at the number of people, the praise Hizashi had thrown their way, or indifferent at it. She was the latter. She didn’t want it. Too much attention on her right then wouldn’t be good, but it didn’t mean she would go through the festival without giving them something to notice her. 

One after another, Hiazashi announced the other courses as they walked out, making their way to the podium Midnight stood on. Ophelia sighed at the skin-tight outfit the pro-hero wore. That was one thing she disliked about most heroes. Their costumes sometimes had nothing to do with their quirk or they made it a certain way just to stand out. She was certain Midnight was the latter.