5

Emily tells me she has to pee and leaves me alone in the living room while she finds the bathroom. I've lost sight of Harry since he's busy policing the party guests. I stand up from the couch and wander back into the kitchen, feeling more comfortable knowing it's Harry's house and not some stranger's.

I open the cooler Harry pulled our drinks from earlier and rifle through it trying to find anything other than beer or water, but come up with nothing. I slowly open the cabinet next to the fridge and find a few bottles of liquor stashed away. I do a little happy dance and grab the vodka, opening the fridge to grab the orange juice that I spotted when he opened it earlier.

I pour about a shot, well, maybe a little more, into a red solo cup and down it before filling it back up with a splash of OJ this time. I walk through the living room to the back door and find two patio chairs underneath a string of lights and take a seat in one, pulling my feet up and rest my chin on my knees, holding my drink in my right hand.

This house feels so happy. So warm and inviting.

My house used to feel like that.

I'm staring at the moon hanging low over a smaller house that's maybe fifty yards from the back porch and I smile a little, knowing that it's Harry's. I take a sip from my cup, the shot- okay double shot I took a few minutes ago is starting to hit me. I hear the back door slide open and a feel familiar presence join me on the porch.

Harry sits in the empty chair next to me, pulling a pack of cigarettes out of his pocket as he eyes the cup in my hand.

"I thought going through people's kitchens was rude." He mumbles with a cigarette hanging from his lips. It's windy outside so his lighter blows out once and I laugh at him. He just ignores me and pulls the collar of his shirt up a bit with one hand to cover the cigarette, and snakes his other hand up the inside of his shirt with the lighter.

He successfully lights the end of his cigarette and smirks at me when he catches me staring at his exposed torso before his shirt falls back down. I shake my head, trying to refocus my thoughts and not say anything embarrassing.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I deny.

"Give me the cup then." He reaches for my drink and I quickly pull it away from him, splashing a little on my jeans.

"Okay so I went through your shit." I admit, rolling my eyes. "I definitely wasn't going to drink that nasty beer."

"Fair enough." He concedes, blowing a cloud of smoke away from me. Without thinking, I reach out my pointer finger and thumb towards him, making a pinching motion at his cigarette. He takes it from between his lips and hands it to me, watching me place the stick between my lips and inhale deeply.

"You could have your own you know." He's still looking at me, but I ignore him and take another drag of his cigarette before I hand it back to him. I lean my head back on the top of my chair and exhale the smoke out, watching it dissipate in the air above us.

"Violet." Harry breathes my name, his low voice sending chills through my body. I cross my arms over my chest, trying to convey that the shiver I just had was from the cold wind and not the way my name sounds coming out of his mouth. "Can I ask you something?"

"No." I respond immediately, downing the rest of the juice and vodka in my cup before standing up. I look down at Harry, his eyes wide at my dismissal of him and sudden movements. I extend both of my hands out to him and he just stares at them before shifting his gaze to me and raising an eyebrow.

"It's cold as fuck out here." I tell him, wiggling my fingers at him. He doesn't move still and I roll my eyes, reaching down to grab his hands from where they are resting on his legs.