Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Insecurities

“How’s your day baby?”  Lisa’s smiling face greeted my evening. I slumped my whole body in the mattress and turn my camera on.

I smiled, one call from her is enough to make me feel alright after my exhausting day.

“It’s fine, I’m just tired..” my voice husky, I turn my body sideways and face my phone.

Why? What did you do the whole day?”

“Meetings and reports, how about you? How’s your day?"

“I’m a little bit tired too, that’s why I called. You are my rest” she winked

I let out a soft chuck, still same old Lisa.

“What did you do the whole day?”

“Talk with the boards, meetings and investigate, maybe finally next week I’ll come home, I’ll try my best to finish this case

“Home?”

“Yeah I’m coming home, to you..”

I pursed my lips and stared at her through my phone. I really love this woman so much, no doubt about that.

“I’ll wait for you then Lis..”

We talked for a while before she bid goodbye and I let her rest. I also prepared myself for my goodnight rest, another day ahead for me tomorrow. Irene is already conducting her new project so everyone is doing their best for its success.

I get out of the lift and arrange my handbag. I stop for a while when I see Lisa’s mom heading outside Irene’s office. I taught I am able to sneak cause I am fifteen minutes late, now seeing Lisa’s mom raising her one eyebrow and looking at me blank, I’m quite embarrassed when she looked at her watch.

“You’re late..” she blurted cold, looking at me head to foot.

I bow my head slightly to show some respect “I’m sorry ma’am, it’s traffic today because there’s a festival held in the-

“Then you could’ve thought about it and prepared for work early, you are one of the chief in this company, you have to be a responsible model. This isn’t a small company where employees who are considered late can be tolerated”

I bit my lip seeing the judgment that glow in Carol’s eyes, something about it made me feel she’s judging all my being just because I am late for the first time ever. I didn’t know there was a festival held in the main road this morning, it’s reasonable though. And unlike in Namjoon’s firm, I am always on time here.

“I apologize for the irresponsible action ma’am, it won’t happen again”

The madam didn’t speak anymore so I bow again my head before politely leaving her there and went into my own office. I leaned my back on my swivel chair with a foul mood early in the morning.

It is obvious Lisa’s mom doesn’t like me at all, this isn’t the first time I realized it, way back three years ago when we met in Lisa’s house in Seoul and I can’t remember anything, her actions towards the vulnerable me says it all, and now I know why.

I wonder what will be her reaction when she found out her daughter broke her long time engagement.  Did she assume something happened between Lisa and me? Now that she’s in New Zealand? What’s the reason she’s here anyway? Lisa is not here.

Already stressed for the day, I opened my laptop and read lots of report.

In my lunch, Lay is back again in joining my table and I gave him a blank stare. He suppressed a shy smile while caressing his neck “Are you alright ma'am? You look lonely”