Day Twelve

A/N - this one is pretty short and not a lot happens but I wanted to update so you know I'm still working on the story, things are just slow because of assignments. Also some chapters will be shorter than others because of each one being a snippet of each day so I hope it's alright :))
Anywayz, hope you're enjoying so far :P

Emily's POV

Y/N has been missing for over two days now, all of us are surviving on coffee, wandering around with dark circles beneath our eyes as we rack our brains for possible answers. I've barely slept, unable to close my eyes without my mind going straight to what she must be going through - feeling nauseous as we keep running into dead ends with our search.

The team have been interviewing everyone living in the community, seeing if they noticed anything suspicious, any strange behaviour from neighbours or even if they saw her on the day she was taken. So far we've learned nothing, all of us growing tired and feeling helpless at the lack of knowledge we have.

Penelope couldn't find anything suspicious in anybody's backgrounds, not even any petty crimes or even any tarnished school records; on the surface they seem to be clean, only making things that much more difficult without having anybody who sticks out. The only possible leads we've found have been the less than concrete alibies of both Ryan and Chad, the only two people who seemed they could possibly be suspects.

Penelope hasn't been her happy-go-lucky self either, overworking herself searching the databases for possibilities, drinking even more than her usual copious amounts of coffee though the caffeine fixes aren't enough to combat her tiredness. She's sluggish, usual jokes not coming from her mouth as the fear of losing one her closest friends weighs on her shoulders.

Derek hasn't been cracking his flirty quips with her either, his usual smirk replaced with a serious, focused pout, lips pressed into a straight line and furrowed brows. Even Spencer has retired from his ramblings of facts, being more concise in his answers to be as quick as possible in as many areas of the investigation. His sleeping has been disturbed, spending long hours standing staring at the make-shift case board in the living room; files are strewn around the entire downstairs of the house with us alternating who takes naps in the bed upstairs.

We'd been working non-stop, Rossi keeping us fed and all of us taking it in turns to brew pots of coffee but the long hours and lack of leads was taking its toll.

It had officially been forty eight hours since I'd last seen her, two whole days of her suffering through fuck knows what and I felt sick to my stomach; I kept my emotions in check in front of the others but let myself shed a few tears behind closed doors - reassuring myself that we will find her and she will be okay, she just has to hang on.

The house had taken on a tense silence, all of us reading through any files we had racking our brains for ideas, being interrupted by the sound of the doorbell echoing through the room. We exchanged looks hued with nervousness, unsure who it could be, before I walked to the door gun in hand just in case. I opened the door a crack to check who it was, releasing a relieved breath as I saw Matt and James on the doorstep, quickly holstering my gun before opening the door wider.

"Hi, Emily." Matt spoke, smile on his face.

"Or should we say, Agent Prentiss." James added, making me smile slightly though nervous they may have adverse responses. We felt bad for lying to them, growing close with them in the past week and though we can't officially rule them out it likely isn't them.

"Hey, sorry about the whole undercover thing. Come in." I spoke, leading them through the house into the living room which was a complete mess of files and the team scattered in various seats. They exchanged waves and nods, everyone quickly greeting them before getting back to work before I led them further into the house into the kitchen so they couldn't see our case evidence.

"It's all good Emily, gotta find the serial killer right?" James returned, earning a slap on the arm from Matt as his comment.

"We're sorry about Y/N, it's absolutely awful. We just came to see how you're holding up."

"We're all okay, sleep deprived for sure but doing everything we can to find anything we can to find her. Coffee?"

"Sure, thank you. Are you two actually a couple?" Matt smirked.

"Uh, no. We're not." I replied, handing them a cup of coffee each. A bittersweet feeling taking over as I thought about our progressing relationship, I'm still not sure how I feel about her but I know it goes further than friendship. We were going to keep things casual, see where things lead - but how are we meant to do that if whoever has taken her fucking kills her?

"Are you sure? The way you looked at each other seemed like there was something going on." He smiled. I looked towards the team to make sure they were focused on something else and not listening in on our talk.

"You can't say anything to the team - they really can not know okay?" I urged, they gave each other a knowing look, motioning a zip over their lips as they smirked. "We didn't really get along before we went undercover together, always bickering you know? But we actually started talking and getting to know each other and we have a lot in common. Things kind of led on from there and now I don't even know if they'll ever go any further." I felt myself blush slightly as I gave a sad smile, releasing a shaky breath as tears stung my eyes, quickly brushing them away before they could fall. They gave me sad smiles, James gently squeezing my arm in reassurance.

We talked over coffee for another half an hour or so, giving me a much needed break before they made their way home, giving me a quick hug as they left.

"Alright, lets get back to work." I muttered to myself as I took my seat once more. "Where are you Y/N?" I whispered under my breath as my teeth chewed on my fingernails, eyes tracing over the words of the endless stream of files.

A/N - the next chapter should hopefully be up within the next few days, maybe at the weekend? :)