March 7th, 2011

The past few days have been a blur, endless working on the case, your body tired and overwhelmed. Limbs mostly working on autopilot as you tried not to crack, only moments where your mind was lucid, properly absorbing what was going on around you.

"Lauren Reynolds is dead."  Spencer announced. "Prentiss said that on a phone call 17 days ago. But her intonation wasn't surprise or grief. It was like a mantra, like she was reminding herself." His words made your head spin, heart anxiously beating in your chest at the realisation.

"That explains her behavior the past month. The secrets, the evasion." Rossi noted, nausea welling in your stomach, shaking hands tightening into fists. Emily was the final name on Ian Doyle's list, you mentally scolded yourself that you couldn't get her to open up - if only she'd opened up, perhaps you could have helped her with this and she wouldn't be MIA.

Your tense thoughts were broken by the ringing of a phone, stomach dropping when Hotch opened up the drawer of Emily's desk pulling her phone, badge and gun from inside. From then, the world was blurry. Only certain words flowing into your ears, the anxiety muffling everything around you.

"She left her badge and gun? Why would she do that?"

"Why run? We're her family. We can help."

"Doyle's killing families. She's not married, not close to relatives. He was ready to wipe us out. She ran to protect us."

She ran to protect us, she ran to protect us. That phrase went on and on in your head. She ran to protect you, she was in danger because of you. Guilt reared its ugly head and you could barely breathe, what'll happen to her? Where is she?

"Ian Doyle is our unsub, Prentiss is our victim." Hotch pinned her badge to the board and the sight made your stomach twist. The lightest smile tugged at your lips when you remembered her telling you how much she hated her ID photo, you thought it was cute. "Because terrorism isn't an area we specialize in, I've reached out to an expert from the state department, someone who can also shed light on Prentiss' past."

"Who?"

"Her." He nodded, all eyes darting over to where she walked in. JJ nodded to the group, smiling over at you as she made her way over, pulling you straight into a hug. You'd missed her, hadn't seen her in person for months now.

She could feel the tension in your shoulders, you could feel it in hers. You'd spoken to her about how you and Emily were getting along better now, though hadn't gone into the full extent of your relationship - she knew you were civil but she didn't know of the love that bloomed for her in your heart. She pulled away from the hug before turning to the group.

"Let's get to work."

--------------------

Your heart fluttered in bittersweet beats at the sight of Emily undercover as Lauren; you couldn't ignore how beautiful she looked, her hair a lighter shade, dressed in soft linens. She'd never dress like that as herself but it was a beguiling sight, how she could effortlessly pull off a look so different to her own. Though you felt ill at what this meant.

"How close did she get to Doyle as part of her cover?" You asked, scared of your voice betraying you with how much apprehension was burning you within, but you needed to know.

"The recon they did on Doyle included a background of all of his romantic relationships. Emily was his type." It was just what you'd expected, if only being right was comforting and didn't make the bile rise in your throat, the constricting feeling grow around your neck.

The mere thought of Emily - your Emily - with this vile, sick man. It was enough to send your head reeling, vision becoming tunnelled, only hearing snippets. The fear in you was deep rooted, painfully digging its claws in. You just wanted her back, wanted her safe.