Emily

A/N - not me forgetting Sergio exists - poor boy is part of the story now :')
also, i hate to break it to you besties but the angst is coming i am so sorry; this is likely the last smut but if i can think of a way to include it i will

Emily had never hated you, there were definitely some times where she disliked you but that's besides the point. She had never hated you but she never thought she'd fall in love with you either.

It began slowly, in the way you started to open up to her, the way you finally started calling her by her first name, the way you learned how she takes her coffee. It started with the small things, trickling in like the delicate petals of a blossom tree.

Each day she'd find something new, your sweet laugh, the way you bite your inner cheek whilst in concentration or the way she began to find comfort in the scent of your perfume when you'd pass her in the bullpen. She revelled in the way you melted at the sight of Sergio, the amount of times she'd secretly watched you speak to him in a childish voice as you cuddled him on her bed.

Almost too self aware for her own good sometimes, Emily noticed. She noticed everything. She felt herself falling as soon as it began and she was sure she saw the same in you, she realised she was falling but she couldn't help herself. It wasn't often she had something so dear to keep close, something so sweet, so she let herself indulge.

And so the small things trickled in and they piled up until suddenly she was swept away, she wasn't falling anymore. She had fallen all the way in love with you and nothing could tear her away.

Apart from him.

She was adamant on telling you, insistent on making your relationship official instead of the casual nature you'd initially agreed. She was going to do it and nothing could stop her.

Apart from him.

So Emily had made sure to keep you as close as possible these past few weeks, holding you as often as she could, touching you as much as she could. She took you on your first date with the lingering fears it could be your last; each moment spent with you was done warily, making sure nobody was following - he couldn't know she favoured you above the rest. She made every moment count, if you weren't at work you were together and even if you were you had silent conversations across your desks.

The witty remarks and teasing comments never stopped though now you both knew there was zero ill intent, your humour made her laugh, you in general made her smile. And how good did it feel to truly smile, nothing could take it away.

Apart from him.

Just when she thought she finally had everything on track, something good and meaningful, the skeletons of her past had to claw themselves out of where they'd been buried. Couldn't she have just this one thing?

So Emily has been spending time with you as much as possible just in case something might happen...just in case.

To her, that is as good a reason as any to do what she has planned. The bullpen is quiet, only hushed chatter and the flicking and shuffling of the pages of files, the clicking of somebody's pen and the typing of keys on the computers. The pen clicking was annoying until she saw that it was you, your face showing utter boredom, it was endearing. She hid her large smile behind her hand where her chin rested, god were you adorable.

There was no case and the break for lunch was minutes away. "Hey, Y/L/N. Will you help me find the file to go with this report?" She asked, still amused when one of you referred to the other by a last name.

"You can't find it yourself?" You muttered back, the only thing showing there was no hostility was the playful glint in your eye, the hint of a smirk only Emily could notice tugging at your lips.