A Brewing Storm

A/N - POV change
I prefer writing in this way so will likely continue like this but might change it up again - i'm too indecisive !
this one's shorter than i planned, sorry
some of the dialogue is canon - wanted to acknowledge that i'm not taking credit :)

Something is definitely going on with Emily, you've noticed it over the past couple of weeks and you're sure there's something wrong. If only you could figure out what it was.

She's present but as the days go on her presence seems to dwindle, her thoughts growing farther and farther away. And where was she right now? The case briefing had begun - two homes torched last night - and she's nowhere to be seen.

"Guys, sorry I'm late." She uttered, hurrying into the room and taking the seat beside you. She threw a tight lipped, unconvincing smile your way which did absolutely nothing to quell the fears bubbling within you. Mind running with what it could be; is it about you or something more dire, more dangerous?

"You okay?" Hotch asked.

"Yeah, just one of those weeks I guess." Sure is, you thought - she's been acting strange, you knew it but she'd only brush off any concerns, how you wished she'd open up just this once.

Your concerns only heightened when you heard her snap at Penelope, usually she plays along with her enthusiastic questioning, the team generally finding her nosey personality rather endearing. Emily is usually patient, often making witty remarks back, she doesn't snap at people this way and the possibilities as to why set you on edge - it must be serious.

--------------------

"Hey." You whispered, making your way beside her as she poured a cup of coffee and she automatically grabbed another mug and poured some for you too.

"Hey, love." She uttered back and a smile tugged at her lips as she looked at you, a genuine smile, soft and loving.

"Everything okay?"

"Everything's good." Her smile faltered and you could see it wasn't genuine - you'd grown accustomed to each and every microexpression she creates, you know her, even better than you know yourself you sometimes think.

"You've been picking your fingernails again." You returned, both of you instinctively looking down at the overly chewn and red nails and skin of her fingertips. You so wanted to just hold her hand, tell her you were there for whatever private battle she was facing, tell her she didn't have to go it alone.

"Yeah." She sighed, pulling her sleeve down slightly.

"You only do that when you're stressed."

"Just a bad habit." She shrugged and you wished you could believe her.

--------------------

Spencer had figured out the design of the tattoo that was on the wrist of the shooting victim - a clover like shape.

It wasn't hard to miss the look on Emily's face as she saw it - shock and...fear? You'd never seen her look so scared, what could the tattoo be associated with that was so bad she hurried off to the bathroom.

You followed her in there as the others moved on to the next thing, walking into the bathroom as she hurriedly hung up the call on her phone.

"Em, are you okay?"

"I'm fine, you don't need to keep asking."

"I'm sorry." You mumbled, knowing it's annoying when people keep poking for information but you love her and you're concerned.

"I'm gonna be alright." She sighed, face softening from the tense way it was furrowed, recognising the concern etched onto your features.

"I'm just really worried about you. You've been acting weird and I just wish you'd let me in."

"I'm not sleeping too great lately. I'm having this nightmare - this recurring nightmare." She sighed, holding onto the hand you offered out to her, thumb rubbing over the back of her knuckles.

"I know a thing or two about that." You smiled making her chuckle lightly. "Tell me about it?"

"There's a hill, and there's a little girl on top of the hill. She's like 6 years old, dark hair and she's just dancing in the sun. But somehow I know that she's waiting for me, so I start to walk up the hill." She explained, tears forming in her eyes. "But the hill gets steeper and steeper, and by the time I climb to the top, the little girl's gone. And I look everywhere for her, and when I can't find her, I start to panic. And I panic because I know what's waiting out there for her. I know what the world can do to a girl who only sees beauty." Her words hurt your heart, the uncharacteristic vulnerability bleeding into her voice.

"Like Penny?" You smiled, thumb wiping at the tear gliding down her cheek.

"Mhm." She smiled. "And a little like you sometimes. Somehow you always make me smile. And I don't think I've ever thanked you for that."

--------------------

And when Hotch was briefing us all about Ian Doyle you heard Derek ask her if she was okay.

"I'm good." She replied, he was satisfied with her answer but you couldn't help but feel as though it masked a multitude of hidden secrets, feelings, danger, unspoken truths.

The two of you shared a smile, her eyes looking slightly teary. You made a note to ask her about it as soon as you could, this time you'd be more insistent - you'd pry as much information out her as you could. You wanted to help her, that's all you wanted.

You'd have been more adamant sooner if you realised the storm that had been brewing, the one that was about to hit.