Foundations

dialogue and case from s7 ep 23 'hit' - some of the dialogue might not specify who says it bc i don't want it to be repetitive and clunky - it is pretty heavy on the canon case dialogue but it's all part of the story so just bare with me besties. sorry if this one's boring it's just leading up to the next one

Before work this morning you, Emily and Derek went to look at the house you'd put the bid on; it was a beautiful house, an amazing place to live but neither of you were completely sold on the idea. You'd spoken about it, that maybe your fresh start isn't just about making things better but from truly being able to start fresh - somewhere new. 

You'd brainstormed ideas with nothing set in stone, hoping that when you'd see the house again and inspect it all it'd fall into place as somewhere the two of you could call home. You both loved the house but you didn't have to have a conversation to be able to tell how each other felt - it didn't feel quite right.

"I don't know." Emily sighed as we made our way outside.

"What's not to know? It's a beautiful place." Derek returned looking to you on confusion.

"There are cracks in the foundation."

"Cracks can be fixed."

"No, they can only be hidden. They're still there." You sighed.

"What, are you afraid the place is gonna fall down?" He laughed.

"I'm afraid it's never gonna be as strong as it was."

"Ok, somebody's heart is not into it. What's going on with you two?"

"I don't know. When I first came here, I felt like I was home. And now, it's just an uphill battle." Emily sighed, holding onto your hand, knowing you were both feeling the same way; both having been through so much that things here have grown stale.

"People kill for opportunities like this. Are we crazy to walk away?" You asked.

"Well, you gotta do what's best for you. Follow your gut. What's it trying to tell you?" Derek advised and it was clear through the look you shared with Emily that you were on the same page.

--------------------

There was a bank robbery situation in progress and you and the team were vested up outside, JJ ran to hug Will before he explained what was going on.

"I only saw the King and the Jack, but I figure the Queen's inside, too." He explained.

"The media's calling them the Face Cards. 7 bank robberies in 7 months. They've killed one person at each robbery." Hotch added. 

"M.O?"

"Single gunshot wound. Each of the victims has bled out."

"Serial killers with a 30-day cooling-off period and we're only just hearing about this now?" Emily asked.

"Well, headquarters has always characterized them robbers first and killers second."

"No one kills 7 people without serious psychopathic tendencies." You added.

"I disagreed with the original assessment. I was overruled."

"So why are we here now?"

"Because crisis negotiation is overseas."

"What more do we know about them?"

"They're organized, they're efficient. Each strike lasts about 2 minutes."

"They gotta be scouting the banks in advance. Why haven't we been able to I.D them off of surveillance footage?"

"They hack the security feed and turn off the cameras, both during the initial canvass and during the robbery, until the masks come back on, and then we're allowed to watch."