Accidents

Of course, there he was, waiting.

She thought to herself, Did I really just jinx myself like this in the worst possible moment?

She lifted up Peter's board in her hands as she approached the entrance to her apartment complex.

Daniel looked at her in relief. He had bags under his eyes as if he hadn't slept the past two weeks. He had grown out a decent amount of facial hair, and his hair on the top of his head could've easily been confused with a bird's nest. In other words, he was a big mess. 

She scowled, "You're better off leaving."

Daniel pleaded, "Please, I want to talk."

"Unfortunate, because there's nothing to be said.", She rebutted. 

She looked into his ocean blue eyes, the ones she used to love.. big emphasis on used to. 

She almost felt bad for him, just by looking at the hurt in his eyes was enough for her to say okay. 

She opened the doors to the apartment complex. She sighed and nodded her head for him to come in. He quickly rushed through the doors before they would hit him. The walked up the stairs in silence. 

Nat was for sure on her part that she wouldn't be the one to start this exasperating conversation that was about to happen between them. 

She paused at her door step. Did she really want to let Daniel in her home? The same home he had disrespected her in? The same home she made Peter feel unwelcome? 

Daniel waited to see what she was doing.

He said in a low tone, "I don't have to go inside, if you don't want me to."

The words felt odd. Was he guilt-tripping her? Or was it her overthinking his tone of voice?

She shrugged it off as she pushed the key in to unlock the door.

She mumbled shakily under her breath, "No, it's fine."

They both stepped inside as she placed Peter's board by the door, and hung her coat next to it. 

She motioned for him to sit at the kitchen table that only consisted of two chairs. She dragged her chair on the opposite end of his, being far away from him as possible. 

She crossed her arms as she waited for him to begin his plead. Ironic, because wasn't he the one studying to be a lawyer?, she thought to herself. 

Daniel pursed his lips together not knowing what to say. They both sat in silence for what felt like ages until he finally said, "I'm sorry."

Nat furrowed her brows and replied, "That's it? You're sorry?"

Another pause between them two. 

He rubbed his neck in frustration and said, "I don't know what came over me that night... I guess I was angry about you staying with another guy. Nat... You have to know for us men it's almost a threat..."

Nat laughed and cut him off, "A threat? In what way have I threatened our relationship? Did you not trust me?"

He sat in silence not knowing how to respond.

That was it, wasn't it... He never trusted her. 

She nodded her head and asked, "Why?"

"What?"

She asked again, "Why?"

"I would think if we've been dating a year now, you would know if you would like to be with me for the rest of our lives.", he muttered out. 

The feeling began to sink in. She did not want to be with him for the rest of her life. Maybe, at some point in their relationship she would have thought about it, but now it was clearer than ever. She never wanted to marry Daniel nor saw him being the father of her future kids, it was never prevalent to her that feeling he must've been feeling. 

Daniel was also five years older than she was. In his late 20's, 26 to be precise. He was already thinking for that next step in life whilst Nat was just beginning her college years. 

She wrapped her hands around her arms. 

She softly said, "I'm sorry, Daniel."

He nodded and said, "I should've known better."

She tilted her head up offended and asked, "What do you mean?"

He shrugged his shoulder as he leaned back in his chair. 

Nat sat up in her chair waiting for a response.

He replied, "Everyone warned me not to date such an immature girl."

Her face dropped as she clenched her hands from underneath the table.

She muttered through her teeth, "You and I both know, the only immature one here is clearly you. And on that note, it's time for you to leave."

She watched as his jaw clenched and his eyes go far beyond dark. 

He laughed and said, "You were always a little bitch that I had to take care of cause you had no where else to go and no one who cared enough to help you."

She got off from her chair and yelled, "GET OUT!" 

Daniel sprung up and said, "I'm not finished, Nathalie."

The anger began to pump through her veins. 

"You wonder why your parents gave you up? Why don't you take a look in the mirror and see what a fuck up you are. Never could be loved.", He angrily said. 

She could feel tears well up in her eyes. 

He continued, "You know I am the best you will ever have. I can give you everything. Love, a home, money, whatever you wanted. But you fucked up all the chances of getting all that."

She yelled, "I never wanted any of that. I never wanted your damn money, your fucking pity... and while we're at it I never wanted you!"

The words came out harsher then she expected. The room went quiet. 

He said in a scary calm tone, "Take it back."

She froze as she looked at the fiery that was about to abrupt right before her eyes. 

He yelled, "So fucking help me, and take that shit back, Nathalie!"

She felt her body go cold in fear. 

She couldn't help, but whisper, "No."

Daniel slammed his fist into the table. 

He yelled, "Fucking say it you, bitch!"

She was too afraid to even speak another word. The events of what happened next was almost a blur. 

In a blink of an eye, Daniel was throwing the kitchen table across the room. 

In a blink of an eye, Nat was running for her life. 

In a blink of an eye, she was yanked back by her hair. 

In a blink of an eye, she was being pinned against the floor being choked. 

In a blink of an eye, Daniel was gone. 

She laid there, gasping for her and coughing in pain. She heard yelling from outside her apartment, but she was in too much shock to figure out what was going on. 

She heard the door shut as fear crept in again. She cried as she turned herself to try to stand, so she could run. 

She heard a distant, "Nat-Nat, it's okay."

His familiar voice. 

She turned around, and saw Peter's worried face. She couldn't help, but run to him as he opened his arms embracing her. Tears had begin to stream done her face. 

He ran his hand down her hair as he whispered, "Shh, it's okay. He's never going to touch you ever again. I promise."

And that was a promise he will forever keep.