Chapter 27. Poison.

Kaira's POV.

''You should talk to her.'' Sasuke said after a short moment of silence.

I looked at him. I just told him what happened yesterday before he found me outside. We were currently sitting on the floor at the training grounds. We had just been sparring for some time, both holding back. After that, I finally told him what all the commotion was about. He listened well, without interrupting. After I finished my story, he was silent. He looked like he was thinking, so I decided not to say anything just yet.

''Talk to her..?'' I spoke quietly. ''I can't.''

Sasuke sighed as I looked down at my lap. I knew he was only trying to help me, and I did appreciate that, but I couldn't talk to mom right now. I had yelled at her, and was, honestly, a bit ashamed about it. II acted before thinking, and it was stupid of me.

''Kaira, you don't know when she'll die. It can be in a year, half a year, a month, a week, maybe tomorrow.'' Sasuke began, and I felt my chest tighten at his words. I didn't want to think about my mother's death. ''So now you still have a mother, you should spend time with her, talk to her.'' Sasuke continued. ''Once she's gone, you'll still feel guilty, and you won't be able to apologize to her anymore. Now that you still got time, you shouldn't waste it. I don't have a mother anymore. If I knew that she would die that day, I would have stayed by her side till the end, I wouldn't walk away. You can't run from what's going to happen Kaira, you will have to accept it.''

I clenched my fists, gritting my teeth. I knew he was right, and I knew what I had to do. But thinking about what's ahead.. I didn't like that one bit. I rather mom die a sudden death, than knowing she's going to die but not knowing when. That's just tormenting.

And what am I supposed to say to mom? How should I apologize?

''Want me to go with you?''

I nodded slowly as I kept looking down. I heard Sasuke move, and the next thing I felt was his elbow against my arm. When I was about to look up to glare at him, but then I saw him look past me, and followed his gaze, seeing Izuna stand a little bit further away. Looking back at Sasuke, I let out a small sigh. ''I'll be right back.'' I whispered before I got up, and ran at my brother. Still a bit tired from the training, I was slightly panting when I arrived in front of Izuna.

''Izuna.'' I breathed. ''Do you need something?''

''About yesterday..'' he began, and I looked away from him. ''I know you don't like it, of course you don't like it. Nobody likes it, but you had to know what was coming. Mom also told me and Suki..'' he trailed off. I could hear he had a bit trouble talking about the subject.

He wasn't the only one.

''I want you to talk to mom about it.'' he said, and I turned my gaze towards him. ''But-'' ''I don't know what Sasuke and you were talking about, but I was able to tell it was about the same subject.'' Izuna interrupted me.

I bit her lip and nodded. ''I'll talk to her.'' I muttered quietly. Izuna smiled and pulled me into an embrace. Not really expecting that, I stiffened. Even though Izuna and I were pretty close, we almost never hugged. Sometimes, we were more like rivals than siblings. We saw everything as a challenge. A challenge only one of us could win. Izuna almost always won. He is stronger than me, and I didn't like that one bit. No wonder he's dad's favorite. I didn't blame Izuna for that. He was just the better one, but that doesn't mean I didn't strive to surpass him.

I felt him ruffle my hair. ''It'll be fine. We haven't given up yet.'' he murmured. I sighed and put my head against his shoulder, hugging him back. ''Thank you, Izuna..'' I whispered.