Chapter 40. Together.

Sasuke's POV.

''Goodnight then.'' Suigetsu grinned as he followed Juugo into their room.

Ignoring him, I went into the room I shared with Kaira. Something had been bothering her, and I thought I knew what. We had a conversation about this before, but she still hadn't made up her mind?

After closing the door behind me, I locked it. Even though I was sure nobody recognized us in this hotel, it wouldn't hurt to be a bit cautious. Hearing the sheets of the bed more, I walked through the short hallway before I ended up to where Kaira was.

Leaning against the wall, I watched her warming herself up by lying down on the bed with her back turned to me, wrapping the sheets around her. I knew she didn't really like this cold weather, and the clothes she was wearing weren't suited for it at all.

Kaira turned around to face me. ''Sasuke..'' she began. ''About earlier, I-''

''It's about Madara, isn't it?'' I asked, assuming that was indeed what was bothering her. When Kaira didn't answer, I took her silence as a yes. I sat down on the edge of the bed. ''Tell me.''

Kaira sat up, eyeing me shortly before looking at the window. ''I don't know what to do.''

''Be more specific.''

''I know that what I am doing is wrong, and I'm considering quitting the Akatsuki, like Suki did, but unlike her, I have nowhere to go. I have done much worse things than Suki, and I know I will never be forgiven. I also don't want to leave everybody behind, like my mother and Izuna. They're my family.''

I understood her mixed feelings, but she should really figure this out herself. I didn't like Madara at all, so whatever I would choose, it would be disadvantageous for Madara. It wouldn't be a choice made based on her emotions, but based on mine, and that would be unfair to Kaira.

''You have to choose yourself, but I can say one thing.'' I said, and Kaira turned her head to look at me. ''The Akatsuki isn't your home. We're criminals, we don't have a place in this world, we don't have a place to call home. So you're free to go where you want to go.''

Kaira's pondering expression eased into one more relieved, and she sighed softly before puling the sheets of off her. Just when I was about to stand up, a cold hand grabbed my wrist, pulling me right back.

''Thank you, Sasuke.'' Kaira mumbled as she embraced me tightly, burying her face in the crook of my neck. I didn't reply as I wrapped one arm around her waist, returning the gesture. Maybe I didn't really help that much, but I wanted her to know that she wasn't bound to stay with the Akatsuki. If she truly wanted to leave, she would be able do it, no matter if Madara refused to accept it. She didn't have to listen to him.

When Kaira pulled away, she quickly pressed her lips against mine, but broke the kiss shortly after. Not satisfied yet, I grabbed one of her shoulders and leaned over to her and continued where we left off. Kaira didn't really saw that coming, but soon her eyes slowly closed as brought her hands up to my neck. The kiss was rather slow and sweet, but was leisurely growing a bit faster.

I felt Kaira sigh against my lips when we parted, her eyes gazing piercingly into mine. After I fully turned around, I cupped her cheeks and captured her lips again. They were so mellow, and I could taste a hint of peppermint lip gloss, which I presumed kept her lips soft. In this cold weather lips could easily chap.

Kaira granted me access without any denial when I brushed my tongue against her bottom lip, and I slipped my tongue into her mouth. Kaira had to suppress a soft moan when I gently pushed her down to the bed, not breaking the kiss in the process.