Chapter 36. Black Cross.

Kaira's POV.

Rain kept pouring down on us as we proceeded onwards. Everyone was soaked. We've been running in the rain for hours now, without finding shelter anywhere. Sasuke said that one of Orochimaru's old hideouts was nearby, and we could stay there until the rain stopped.

Zetsu was running in front, while I was in the back with Suigetsu again.

I was pretty familiar with this area. Some of Sasori's spies are here as well, only one or two are astil alive though. The other ones were killed some time ago when somebody suddenly attacked most of Akatsuki's spies.

Maybe I should pay them a visit to look how they are. Since Sasori is dead, they may not be loyal to our organization anymore. Dad threatened them, if he didn't, those guys would have already fled to another country. I wondered if those spies had any new information I could use. I'd like to know more about the attack on Konohagakure, and about how Suki's doing.

''We're here.'' I heard Sasuke say, and I looked up. The entrance was well hidden; a simple hole in the ground surrounded by bushes. If you didn't look well, you wouldn't see it. Everyone followed Sasuke into the base, only I stayed outside.

Sasuke noticed and came back outside. ''Aren't you coming?''

''No. I have something to take care of.'' I muttered. Sasuke frowned at me. ''What are you going to do then?''

I sighed. He always wanted to know what was going on, even if it didn't have anything to do with him. Was it because he didn't trust me, or was it because he was worried? Sasuke didn't look worried though.

''Well?'' he asked.

''Does it matter? I'll be back in an hour.'' I said. Sasuke looked slightly annoyed after I hadn't answered his question properly. ''Kaira.''

''Sasuke, you're not my father, so stop acting like one.'' I was slowly growing annoyed. Why does he always stick his nose in my matters? I never ask him about everything he does.

When he didn't say anything anymore, I turned around and walked away. I thought he would have kept asking, so I didn't expect he would have stopped there.

Sasuke's POV.

She could be so stubborn. Didn't she understand that there could be still bounty hunters after her? She was Madara's daughter. If they were to capture her, they can use her against the Akatsuki. That's what many villages wanted, so that they didn't have to fight Madara directly. Just because the bounty hunters failed to capture her once, didn't mean others wouldn't be coming after her again.

Sighing, I decided to go into the hideout again. I knew Kaira was strong, so she should be able to defend herself pretty well, but it's difficult for her to fight many opponents at once, especially when they all have different fighting styles she isn't familiar with.

''Sasuke?'' Suigetsu mumbled. ''Where's Kaira?''

''She'll be back in a while.'' I answered coldly as I passed him. I heard Suigetsu sigh behind me. ''That little....'' he muttered. ''She asked me to train with her and now she ditched me? How rude..''

Suigetsu pouted as I kept walking. I wondered why Kaira wanted to train with Suigetsu. Suigetsu may have this handy ability to turn into liquid, but he wouldn't stand a chance against Kaira. She was almost at the same level as me.

Kaira's POV.

I cursed loudly once I saw the bloody corpse lying on the floor. He was obviously dead. The room was a mess. Papers were lying on the ground and some of the furniture was broken.

From what I saw, the spy hadn't been killed long ago. The blood was still flowing out of his body.

If he was murdered just a moment ago, then maybe the other was still alive. But if the culprit knew about this spy being here, he must also know about the other.

Quickly leaving the small hideout, I headed towards the other one, where the other spy was located.

I should inform dad of this as soon as possible before all of our spies were dead. This was really a problem. Someone was trying to take us out one by one.

First murdering most of our spies, so we would be informed less of the situation around the base. Then they attack weaker members like Rai and Kuri. Izuna wasn't weak, but my guess was that the enemy didn't expect him to come, but saw their chance and attacked anyway, using him as bait.

I clenched my fists once I saw the broken door.

The enemy was already here.

Holding the handle of my katana tightly, I slowly entered the building. I heard some footsteps, so that meant the enemy was still here, but in another room. Pulling the katana out of its holder, I activated my Sharingan. Since I didn't know who I was facing, I couldn't underestimate the enemy.

Silently, I kept walking to the other door, which was open. When I peeked into the room, I saw a body lying on the ground, and I knew I was too late, but there was also another person in the room.

He was looking through some papers, obviously searching for some valuable information. If they really though they could find it here, they were really stupid.

I should end this quickly, but I could also use him to get some information myself. Taking a kunai from my pouch, I threw it at his leg. The knife pierced his skin, and the man cried out before he collapsed to the ground.

I straddled him, and held the katana to his throat. ''Who are you working for?'' I asked coldly, immediately getting to the point.

The man's eyes widened and he gulped. ''I'll let you live if you tell me.'' I added.

The man still didn't answer, and I slowly got irritated. That's when I noticed a black cross tattooed on his shoulder. My eyes widened once I remembered that Izuna told me his attackers also had a tattoo like that.

He belonged to the same group which members attacked Izuna.

I felt my blood beginning to boil, and pressed the katana a little bit harder against his throat, drawing a bit blood. ''Well?'' I growled, activating my Sharingan, hoping he would answer if I pressured him more.

''T-Tenko.'' he stuttered.

Tenko? I had heard that name somewhere before. The man sighed in relief when I pulled my katana back and stood up.

What an idiot.

Plunging my katana into his chest, I killed him immediately. I didn't keep promises to the ones who dared to lay a finger on my brother. I didn't keep promises to my enemy in the first place. I just said that so he would answer, and he fell for it.'

But this Tenko... I needed to know more about him.

.....................

Sorry for the late update, but I just started my Sting fanfic, so it may take longer for me to update from now on, but I'll try to keep updating weekly.