Chapter 41. Nostalgia

My laptop is broken so I couldn't use the spelling and grammar checker, so sorry if there are any errors, I will fix it when my laptop works again :)

Kaira's POV.

After I went to my room in the base to leave my stuff there, I decided to take a walk through the hideout. The possibility that someone was here during our absence was there, so I wanted to check things out instead of being surprised by some stranger later.

If it was a normal person, there would have been some obvious evidence left that he was here, like footprints in the dirt outside the base or something like that, but I wasn't able to find anything like that, so I assumed no one has been here. This base wasn't easy to find anyway, or some ninja must have found it by accident and slipped in without leaving any signs of presence, but that was very unlikely.

Just when I thought nobody had been here, I smelled the smoke of a cigarette. Even though I knew Izuna had smoked here before, the smell shouldn't linger here that long.

Was Izuna here? Or was it someone else who also smokes? Izuna was still healing, so he should still be at the infirmary in the other base, but he was stubborn, so it could be anybody. Wrapping my fingers around the handle of the katana, I slid it out of its holder.

The scent was getting stronger as I came closer and closer to the living room. I didn't dislike the smell, but I did value my life, and told Izuna multiple times to not smoke inside, but he never listened. If this person was indeed Izuna, he wouldn't get away with it this time so easily. Even though I smoked a few times before, I didn't do it for fun or satisfaction, unlike Izuna.

I reached the door, which was was left ajar, while we always close all the doors and windows when we decide to move to another base, so there was certainly somebody in there.

The door creaked, and I lifted my katana, swinging it at the person who just wanted to leave, but stopped my movement once the blade touched the throat.

''Don't cut the hair, dear sister.''

I grunted and lowered my katana, sheathing it. ''Izuna you idiot, I could have killed you.''

Izuna took the cigarette between his fingers, and smirked. ''Then I'm lucky I have such a great sister with amazing sword skills.'' I didn't know if it was meant sarcastic or not, but I honestly didn't care at the moment.

Taking the cigarette from his fingers, I bowed it and let it fall onto the ground, stepping on it afterwards. ''No smoking inside.''

Izuna pouted playfully and went back into the living room. Sighing, I followed him. He could be so childish, it really annoyed me, but at the same time, I couldn't ask for a better brother.

Izuna's POV.

''What are you even doing here?'' Kaira asked as she sat down on the couch next to me. ''Are you feeling okay?''

''I'm fine.'' I reassured her. ''And I'm here because the two of us have a mission tomorrow. I'll give you the details later, I'm tired now.''

Knowing how kind my younger sister could be, and knowing she always treated me well, I placed my head on her shoulder and let out a yawn. I heard Kaira growl and she pushed my head away. ''Then go to bed.''

I chuckled and got up. ''Love you too.'' I grinned playfully. ''Well then, we're leaving early tomorrow so don't go to sleep too late.''

Kaira's POV.

I rushed to Izuna's room. I was a light sleeper, so when I heard Izuna's shouts, it didn't take long before I woke up.

I opened the door and turned on the lights. Izuna was panting and she was tossing in his bed. His long hair was sticking to his bare chest because of the sweat as he gripped the sheets in his fist.

I went over to him and grabbed his shoulders, shaking him. ''Izuna, wake up.''

I didn't think he still had those nightmares. He always had those when he was younger and I caught him crying sometimes in the hallway in the middle of the night, but now, several years later, he was still having those occasionally?

I shook him again, this time more violently. ''Izuna!''

His eyes shot open and he instantly sat up. Izuna was always so childish and playful, like he was fearless, but seeing him like this, anxiety visible in his eyes made me realize I wasn't the only one having a hard time sometimes.

''Kaira?'' he breathed.

''I'm here.'' I said. ''Were you having that nightmare again?''

Izuna averted his gaze and ran a hand through his hair. ''They won't stop.'' he whispered. ''If I only could see his face..''

''His face?''

Izuna shook his head, making it clear he didn't want to talk about it anymore, and got out of bed and went to the bathroom. I could hear water running and stood up as well, heading to where Izuna was. Splashing water in his face, Izuna cooled himself down.

''Are you alright?'' I asked as I leaned against the door frame.

''I am now.'' Izuna muttered as he grabbed a towel and buried his face in it.

''If you're alright, then I'm going back.'' I said, but just when I was about to turn around, Izuna's hand grabbed my arm. I looked over my shoulder. ''Izuna?''

''Can you stay here?''

Eh? I fully turned around and Izuna released me. Studying his face, I couldn't discover any signs od raillery. Did he mean it? ''You mean staying with you? Tonight?''

Izuna frowned. ''Yes?''

''It's akward..''

Izuna sighed. ''It's not, we did it pretty often when we were kids.'' he argued. ''When I had nightmares you would come to my room and lie down next to me.''

''That was ten years ago.'' I grunted. ''Do you still need me to keep you company? Are you that afraid?''

''Why are you being so stubborn?'' Izuna asked, sounding slightly frustrated. ''We're siblings, there is nothing awkward or weird about sharing a bed, so what's the problem?''

''Fine.'' Kaira grumbled.

Izuna's POV.

I listened to Kaira's soft breathing. It soothed me. She had already fallen asleep before me. This was pretty nolgastic, and it made me happy. Even though we both changed a lot over the years, some things didn't change, and I was glad about that.

I felt Kaira's back against mine as she stirred a bit, now lying in a different position than before. Being here with Kaira made me realize how much I missed Suki. The three of us always used to do things together, and now she's gone. I hoped she was okay, and that nobody has found out about her true indentity yet.

I sighed and closed my eyes, trying to fall asleep, but it wasn't that easy. I had so many things to worry about currently. Dad was going to make a move soon, mom was still sick, Kaira was slowly growing more attached to Sasuke. If dad failed, mom died, and Kaira left with Sasuke, than what would become of me? Would I be left? I knew Asuki, Shisui and the others would be still there, but the most important people in my life would be gone..

I didn't want to think about it, but those thougths kept coming back.

What was I going to do

Kaira's POV.

Izuna was so stubborn yesterday. I wondered why he wanted me to stay with him. I didn't believe he was so scared that he didn't want to sleep alone. That wouldn't be like Izuna at all.

But I was glad. It was pretty long ago when Izuna and I were that close. After dad began to train us more seriously, we both grew a little more distant, and our rivalry began back then as well. Before then, we used to do pretty much together.

''Let's go.'' Izuna grinned as he grabbed his bag.

I smiled, and followed Izuna as we headed towards the exit of the base.