Chapter 64. Reunion.

Kaira startled when Sakura abruptly woke up and sat up.

''You've woken up?'' Kakashi asked.

Sakura didn't need to answer his question and looked around. ''Is it...'' She started, speaking softly. ''Already nighttime?'' Suddenly, her eyes widened, as if she realised something very important and turned to Kakashi. ''Where are Sasuke-kun and Naruto?!''

Kakashi was silent for a moment before he spoke up. ''I would suppose... that in order to finally settle things, once and for all...,'' He said. ''Those two are currently engaged in their final battle.''

Kaira sighed softly and hugged her knees, unintentionally attracting Sakura's attention. When she finally noticed the Uchiha's presence, she tensed up a bit and glanced at Kakashi. ''What is she doing here?''

Kakashi put a hand on Sakura's shoulder, reassuring her. ''Don't worry, she's on our side.''

''For now.'' Kaira whispered inaudibly. She knew that after the fight was over, she was their enemy again. An ex-Akatsuki member, a criminal, a thief... it was too much to ignore, and too much to forgive.

The tree of them looked up when they heard footsteps approaching. Kaira stood up once she saw Izuna climb over the rocks. The expression on his face was a troubled one, and there was one thing what worried her more; he was alone.

''Izuna..'' Kaira whispered as her brother stopped right before her. She could literally hear him clench his teeth in frustration. ''The tree wouldn't let me take her back.'' He grunted.

For a second, Kaira wanted to say 'it's fine', but then she realised it would only hurt him more. Not only him, but she'd also be lying to herself and to Izuna, just to reassure the both of them.

It wasn't fine after all.

Kaira's POV.

I pressed my lips together when Kakashi and Sakura ran in front of us. Even though we were all beaten up and exhausted, they still had more energy left than Izuna and me.

Last night, when the loud bangs stopped, we decided to take a look at the outcome of the fight. Now, we were already walking for a long time. Due to exhaustion, it took much longer to walk the long distance to the site where the battle had taken place.

I looked over my shoulder when I suddenly heard a thud. I felt my chest tighten when I saw Izuna on his knees on the ground. From where I was standing, I could hear him pant softly. I looked back at Kakashi and Sakura, who were now also looking into our direction, and waved at them, telling them to keep moving. Kakashi nodded and said something to Sakura before they continued to walk.

I got on my knees in front of Izuna and cupped his face. His skin was warm and long bangs were sticking to his forehead because of the sweat. I clicked my tongue and gently slapped his cheek. ''Idiot.'' I muttered. ''Using up all your chakra and exhausting yourself like this. You should know your limits.''

Izuna chuckled weakly. ''You know me, right?" He spoke hoarsely. ''I'm always pushing myself when it matters.''

I sighed, but couldn't suppress a small smile. It was true after all. Izuna could be the laziest person ever and he often messed around, but when it matters, he'd always go for it 100%, and sometimes even more, just like now.

I put his arm around my neck and pulled him up. In the process, I almost fell over. I also didn't have much strength left, and Izuna wasn't exactly light.

''Don't do anything unnecessary.'' Izuna grumbled. ''Leave me here. You want to see Sasuke, right?''

I started to walk, dragging my brother with him. ''I'm not leaving you here.''

I heard Izuna laugh and he attempted to break away from me, but I held him tightly. ''It's not like there is any danger lurking around. The war is already over.''

''If you have the energy to laugh, then use it to walk.''

Izuna sighed. ''You're so stubborn.''

''You're the last person who should say that about another person.'' I mocked. ''It's not far anymore anyway, so it doesn't matter anyway. I'm taking you with me.''

Izuna didn't say anything back. He probably realized he couldn't convince me anyway. II turned my gaze away from him and looked back at what was ahead of us. About 100 metres in front of us, we saw Kakashi kneeling at the edge of the cliff, looking down.

My head began to hurt when I thought of what I'd find down there. Those two had been fighting for hours and they were already injured. Who knew in what state they'd be right now.

It didn't take long for us to reach Kakashi, and I gently dropped Izuna next to him. ''Can you look after him for a bit?'' I asked him, and Kakashi nodded. I quickly glanced at Izuna, and he also nodded, telling me it was okay now.

I turned around and looked down. It took me a few seconds before I saw it, and my eyes widened when I realized. Pressing the palm of my hand against my mouth, I felt tears forming in my eyes. ''H-His arm..'' I whispered.

I heard Kakashi sigh behind me. ''They're both reckless.''

I wanted to get down there so badly, but I also didn't want to ruin their reunion, so I decided to stay where I was standing a bit longer and just watch. All three of them were smiling, and I couldn't help but feel a bit jealous.

I had never been able to make Sasuke smile like that.

I knew that they had known each other for a long time, while I knew Sasuke for a much shorter time compared to their time together. So it was understandable, but it still stung.

I stiffened slightly when Sasuke and I made eye-contact. For a few seconds, he just stared at me, but then he gestured for me to come down there.

I reluctantly jumped off the cliff and landed a few metres away from them. Not only Sasuke, but now also Naruto and Sakura were looking at me. Unsure of what to do, I started with walking at them.

Sasuke attempted to stand up, but with one arm and tired legs, it was difficult for him. I looked away from him and held out my hand. Once I felt his hand grabbing mine firmly, I pulled him onto his feet, right into my arms.

Sasuke tensed up. He didn't see it coming, and to be honest, neither did I. I just did what felt right, and I did it without thinking. Burying my face into his shoulder, I felt the tears coming again. Holding him like this was something I had been waiting for this whole war.

He smelt terrible; like sweat, blood and filth. But that didn't matter. I probably smelled the same anyway.

I inhaled shakily, unable to control my breathing as I cried softly. I felt Sasuke lean his head against mine as he put his right arm around my waist.

Gripping his shirt tightly, I suddenly got the urge to punch him, hard. ''Do you have any idea how much you've worried me?" I hissed. ''You idiot!''

I felt Sasuke sigh against my head, but it wasn't like one of his annoyed sighs. It's like he was relieved. ''I'm sorry.'' He muttered. ''For worrying you.''

-----------------------

First of all, thank you Lord_Naruto_Dragneel for helping me out as the proofreader. You're a big help!

One or two more chapter before this story is (finally!) finished. I've been writing this book for about 2 years and I have to admit that I really had times that I just wanted to quit.

Anyway, there will be a sequel! After seeing the movie, I got a few ideas and I really want to write about it. I also want to write about Sasuke. Sakura sees him as a great husband and Sarada sees him as a nice father (after a few shitty chapters fom the gaiden), but I think differently about him. If you're gonna read the sequel, prepare for some drama hehehehe