Chapter 58. Battlefield.

Kaira's POV.

It wasn't hard to find out where the main fight was taking place. The rising smoke could be seen from a far distance. I knew I couldn't join that fight, and that I should stay away from the battlefield, but I had to find Izuna.

I grunted when I dodged another branch. If there was only a path in this forest, then I wouldn't be having so much trouble right now. I couldn't move like I did before I got pregnant, so this small bump was really inconvenient.

Shivers went up my spine when I heard something rustle in the bushes up ahead, and I stopped running. I couldn't afford to run into trouble now. I didn't have any weapons, and taijutsu was too risky. Even though ninjutsu should be fine, wasting my chakra here would b dangerous too. I was heading to a battlefield, where a huge war was taking place. I had to save up chakra for that moment.

Using it now would mean that I could run out of it while fighting.

I clenched my jaw. Avoiding it was the only option. It could also have been just an animal. Sighing, I resumed walking, but changed my direction a little.

Better be too careful than a little too reckless.

Izuna's POV.

''Sorry I'm late, Jugo, Sasuke!" Suigetsu yelled as he approached us. ''And isn't that Izuna?'' he grinned. ''You also joined our side?''

I frowned at him. ''Also?''

Suigetsu smirked. ''Kaira-chan wanted to go with us first. It's a shame our team got split up.'' he said before turning his gaze away. ''This tree really is huge now that I see it up close.''

I looked at Sasuke from the corners of my eyes. It's true that Kaira told me she wanted to go with him. I was reluctant about it that time, but now I knew I could trust him. Kaira was safe with him.

''Where is Kaira-chan?'' Suigetsu asked. ''And Suki-chan isn't here as well.''

Karin adjusted her glasses. ''They're nearby.'' she said. ''I can sense their chakra.''

My eyes widened. ''They are nearby? Both of them?!''

Karin looked a bit confused, and nodded slowly. I grunted and looked at Sasuke, who seemed just as surprised as me. Kaira was nearby too? I knew Suki was participating in this war, but according to Sasuke, Kaira should be at the base, and not near the battlefield at all!

Sasuke was about to go to Karin, but I stopped him, blocking his way with my arm. ''I'll go.'' I said. ''You stay here. She's my sister, so I'm going to protect her. You are needed here anyway.''

Sasuke seemed to hesitate a bit, but agreed to it nonetheless.

I jumped down to Karin's level and grabbed her shoulders firmly, shocking her. ''Where is she?!''

Kaira's POV.

I sighed and buried my face in my hands. I couldn't go on anymore. I was exhausted, and letting my guard down around here was the last thing I should do now, but I did it anyway. I just couldn't walk any further.

I sat down, leaning against a rock. I never knew that things would be this much harder. I hadn't trained for a long time, but to think I couldn't go further than this was pretty pathetic. I used to have much more stamina than this.

I bit my bottom lip. What was I supposed to do? Everybody at the base was dead. I had to cross a battlefield, where practically everybody was my enemy to find at least one ally, and I was already too tired to go on.

I looked up once I heard footsteps nearby. Could it be that the one I heard before had followed me? But that was such a long time ago! I clenched my fists and stood up, but almost stumbled when I heard my name being called.

''Kaira!"

I turned around, and relief washed over me when I saw my brother running at me.  I heaved a sigh and leaned against the rock again. ''Izuna.'' I breathed. ''Don't scare me like that.''

Izuna also had a relieved look on his face, but anger was shown in his eyes, which made me swallowed thickly.

''Why are you here?!"' He shouted. ''Sasuke said you'd stay at the base!"

''Izun-'' ''It's far too dangerous for you!'' He interrupted me. ''You can't jus-''

Now it was my turn to interrupted him. I pressed the palm of my hand against his mouth and glared softly at him, letting him know I wanted to explain everything. ''The base is destroyed, Izuna.'' I whispered, letting my hand fall to my side. ''There was an attack..''

Izuna's eyes widened and it took him some time to think it all over. ''And.. where is the rest..?'' he asked. ''Asuki, and Kuri.. Shisui?''

Tears prickled in my eyes. ''Shisui was crushed, and Asuki didn't want to leave him.'' I explained. ''I couldn't find Kuri anywhere.'' My voice wavered. ''I.. I couldn't save her..'' I croaked as I gripped Izuna's attire tightly. ''I couldn't save anybody!''

Izuna pulled me into a hug, and I buried my face into his shoulder. Why am I crying now? While all of that happened around half a day ago? I thought about it so many times during my 'trip' to here. Does talking about it really verify that they aren't here anymore? That I've lost more of my family?

''I didn't know what to do.'' she whimpered. ''I could only think of you and Sasuke, so I went here.''

''It's fine.'' Izuna murmured. ''This may sound selfish, especially since the others died, but I'm glad you survived.''

I rubbed my eyes and pulled away from him. ''What now?''

Izuna patted my head. ''You're coming with me.'' He said. ''We're going to the battlefield.''

I blinked. ''The battlefield?''