Chapter 49. Optimism

Sasuke's POV.

I watched Kaira as she was sleeping. She finally fell asleep after having calmed down, but she will up be upset for a while. Unlike her, I wasn't exactly upset. I didn't know how I felt about this. Mixed feelings would be the best way to describe it.

Kaira being pregnant will put pressure on our relationship. We weren't even together for a year, so our bond wasn't that strong yet. Some people were so close and have been so long together that they could always get up and go on easily, but it wasn't like that for Kaira and me.

This was just too early. If this only happened some time later, I wouldn't have minded. That is, if we would still be together then, but for now, I'd stay with her. She needed me, and I needed her. Especially right now.

I sighed and my eyes travelled from Kaira's face down to her abdomen. The loose shirt she was wearing was showing her stomach. I found myself staring at it. It was weird to think that there was something inside her, inside her stomach. My son, or my daughter.

Our child.

We couldn't think lightly of this. This wasn't just a human life. There was a good possibility that abortion would be performed, but we should realise that we didn't just killed a kid, but our kid. Something- no, someone that belonged to both of us.

It may be early, and we were still young, but that didn't mean we couldn't do it. It's true that is was unexpected, and this was a huge shock, especially for Kaira, but we couldn't make a decision without giving all the options some thought.

I slowly reached out. My fingertips touched her smooth stomach and Kaira reacted slightly my furrowing her eyebrows, but she didn't wake up. Her skin was so warm, unlike mine. Aside from a few scars, it was flawless as well. I looked back at her face. Somehow, I thought to see a somewhat content expression on her face.

But that could have been my imagination.

Izuna's POV.

I let out a deep sigh once I left the living room. I told mom about Kaira. I had no other choice but to tell her. She got suspicious and wouldn't stop asking me about it. I got her to promise not to tell anybody. If dad were to hear this..

I grunted and decided to check up on Kaira. I wondered how Sasuke took the news. He would react a lot calmer than Kaira, that's for sure, but what did he think about it?

I didn't bother knocking before opening the door. I was greeted by Sasuke's glare, which disappeared once he saw it was me. I closed the door behind me and walked at him. ''How's she?''

Sasuke looked at Kaira, who was already asleep. ''She's fine for now.'' he said. ''She had stopped crying and calmed down.''

I shifted my gaze from my sister to Sasuke. ''And how are you?''

Sasuke shrugged. ''I don't know.''

I gritted my teeth. I didn't like his attitude. He was looking like he didn't care at all. Like all this was a burden to him. That expression really pissed me off. ''Listen you punk.'' I growled as I grabbed the collar of his shirt. ''You already got my sister pregnant, and I'm still angry with you about that, but if you don't take good care of her, I'll punch you so hard that your face can't be repaired.''

Sasuke merely only once blinked in response, and I gritted my teeth even harder. ''I can't stand looking at you. Your expression reminds me so much of how Kaira used to look back in the day. You look like you're so strong, so full of pride, like you don't give a singly shit in the world, and at the same time, yet it's screaming loneliness and pain. I hate faces like that. It's pathetic.''

I let go of him and he adjusted his shirt.

''I'm doing this for Kaira.'' I said. ''If she wasn't in this room now, you'd be missing a few teeth.''

Sasuke grunted. ''What my face looks like has nothing to do with you.''

Sasuke's POV.

I pulled a shirt over my head while Kaira was taking a shower. It was still early in the morning, but we had both woken up early and found ourselves being unable to go back to sleep. We also didn't know what to say to each other. I kept quiet about Izuna. She'd only go to him and give him a scolding if I told her, and I wanted her to stay with me for now.

I still didn't understand some of what Izuna said last night. Pain and loneliness? Why would Kaira feel something like that? She wasn't alone and she wasn't suffering.

I looked at the door to the bathroom once it opened, and Kaira came out. She was wearing a sweatpants and a simple black tank top. Her hair was still moist and she hadn't brushed it either.

When she saw me, that uncomfortable expression from earlier this morning reappeared and she looked away. I knew she felt insecure, but she didn't need to feel guilty. It was so obvious that she felt that way.

I walked at Kaira, but she simply tried to walk past me. I grunted and grabbed her wrist, pulling her in front of me.  Kaira startled and gasped when she was pulled back. ''Sasu-''

I cut her off. I already told her last night that her wasn't her fault, that she shouldn't be sorry, but if words couldn't convince her, than maybe actions could.

Kaira froze the moment I kissed her -she didn't see it coming after all- but slowly responded a few seconds later. She wrapped one arm around my neck while the other stayed put on my shoulder. The innocent kiss grew into a more passionate one in just a short moment. All kinds of emotions were poured into it. Relief, sadness, happiness, but also love.

I pulled away once I tasted salt, and looked at Kaira. Tears were running down her cheeks.

''Why are you crying?'' I asked.

Kaira smiled and shrugged, wiping her tears. ''I-I don't know, honestly.'' she chuckled. ''Bu for some reason,I feel a little bit more...

..optimistic.''