The Prank

Sweats and heats. Sunoo was panting hard when they stopped for a short break.

  “Here, drink some water,” Sunghoon passed him bottled water.

   He said thanks and stares at the single sweat on the latter’s chin. He lifts his hand and wipes it with his thumb.

   “Should we stop now?” he said. They’ve been doing it for three hours already. “I’m tired,”

   “Should we?” He slicked Sunoo’s hair behind his ear. The younger’s cheeks were flushed from the heat.

   “Jungwon, can we take a lunch break now?”

Jungwon, who was talking with Jay, stopped talking and placed his chin between his thumb and index finger.

   “Sure, why not?” He said and clapped his hand together before announcing to the rest of the members that they’ll continue practice in two hours.

🌻

   Sunghoon went to the cafeteria first, leaving Sunoo behind in their practice room.

   Sunoo remembered that he had taken off his couple ring before practice and went to wear it again, afraid that the latter would question the whereabouts of the ring.

   He grabbed his backpack from the locker and opened the zipper where he placed the ring.

   He felt nothing.

   There was nothing inside the pocket except for air.

   His ring was supposed, and needed, to be there.

   He took a deep breath and tried to calm his racing heart. Maybe he put it in a different pocket and forgot about it.

   He began searching for the ring inside the locker after opening all of his backpack’s zippers.

Did he lose it?’ He wanted to cry.

   He was too preoccupied with the thought of finding the ring to the point he didn’t realise someone was watching his every movement.

  “Sunoo Hyung, what are you doing?” Jungwon asked. He only went back to the practice to get his forgotten wallet.

   He told the younger about his missing ring, and as expected, the young leader began helping him without being asked for.

  Ten minutes had passed, and all their efforts went futile.

   “Jungwon-ssi~ why are you taking so long?” came Heeseung voice from the corridor.

   The door for their practice room opened, and the two stepped inside the room.

   Jay stares at Jungwon and Sunoo, crawling on the floor like some turtles. “What are you guys doing?”

   Sunoo plopped chest first on the floor, muffling, “I’m the worst,”

   “What is he talking about, Jungwon-ah?” Jay asked.

   Jungwon told the two about Sunoo’s ring, and they asked if he needed help from them.

   The younger one shook his head and told them to go and have their lunch.