THE MUMMY: Practice Duel

(A/N This is after their first encounter with the Magi and after Evelyn was drunk

(A/N This is after their first encounter with the Magi and after Evelyn was drunk.)

Jamie went for a little walk to get her mind off the day except for one thing. Or should she say, one person. The Magi leader was all she thought about, making her smile.

“You should not be out here,” a familiar voice said.

She turned around to see the Magi leader, the smile not leaving her face.

“I appreciate the concern, but I can take care of myself,” she told him.

“I believe you can. Against me; not the creature,” he said, drawing his sword with a slight smile.

“I agree. I would fair against you,” Jamie remarked with a smirk, unsheathing her sword.

They began dueling for a bit when they locked weapons and their faces were inches from each other.

“My name is Jamie. Jamie Carnahan,” she introduced.

“I am Ardeth. Ardeth Bay,” the man introduced.

“I like your name. A lot better than my name,” she said.

“Thank you. But on the contrary, your name is quite beautiful,” he told her.

“Thanks,” she replied.

They unlocked and continued the little duel. She even did a cartwheel over his shoulder and landed in front of him with her sword at his throat.

Ardeth chuckled lightly before saying, “You really can take care of yourself.”

“That I can,” Jamie smirked, they both sheathed their swords, then said, “But I do appreciate your concern.”

“We have always made sure the creature remained trapped, but never in my life have I met someone I was truly concerned for,” Ardeth confessed, letting his knuckles gently drag across her cheek.

She smiled and told him, “And I’ve never felt more protected in my life.”

He smiled gratefully at her, then returned to a serious expression.

“Just promise me you will be careful. As I said, I’ve never been more concerned for anyone’s safety as much as yours. Meaning I would be devastated if you were hurt or worse,” he said.

She stepped closer to him, gently caressed his cheek, and told him, “Ardeth, I promise I will be careful. But you should know that I am mainly concerned for my family’s and friends’ safety rather than my own. And that includes you.”

“I thank you for that, Jamie. But still be careful,” he requested.

“I promise,” she said, kissed his cheek, then whispered to him, “Until next time, Ardeth Bay.”

“You as well, Jamie Carnahan,” he whispered back, gently taking her hand and placing a kiss on her knuckles.

They parted, her watching him leave until he disappeared.