11| His Eyes

Tucking the edge of my saree onto my waist, I wiped the beads of sweat from my head using the back of my palms and draped the wet clothes over the rope that was tied across the length of two adjacent trees

''Bondita?'' I heard Tapas' voice from behind me, I was quick to turn and give him a forced smile, I was surprised to see a tinge of sadness in his beautiful eyes, I wanted to know why but I kept quiet. 

''Umm, listen, I have something important to tell you, please don't hate me, darling'' his sweet words were irking me, nevertheless, I sat beside him and listen to what he had to tell me.

''My mother wants an heir as soon as possible, I know you are infertile and you can't provide me with one, we have tried a lot of times, so I decided to heed her advice, I am not going to marry someone else, I promise, but she has found a woman who is happy to carry my bloodline without the bind of marriage, just a small ceremony, after she gives birth, she will be out of our lives, please, please don't cry'' I never knew how I started crying, but his words were like a thousand thorns, how much I hate him, I still care for him as my husband, and now he has to sleep with another woman.

His hands came around me as I buried my head into his chest, tears streamed down my eyes as if it had no sign of stopping, my pain was unfathomable.

''I will always love you'' he whispers sincerely before pressing his lips onto my forehead, I let out a shaky breath and nodded, tightening the knot on my waist and walking away from him, my anklets chiming under the wind.

I placed my chin on my palms as the tender waves of the river washed my feet, the wind come from behind me, tendrils of my hair fell on my face. 

''Bondita'' I froze when I heard his voice, I was quick to turn and I saw him standing there, he wore black slacks, a white shirt and black suspenders, an expensive watch strapped on his hands, an emerald ring donned his right fingers as his leather shoes shone under the sunlight, his dark hair was combed backwards as his sharp jawline added to his godly face, he was in a complete English attire. But what was he doing here?

I gulped audibly as he sat too close to me, his lips pursed as he squinted his eyes looked onto the river as he leant onto his knees, he looked good, expensive cologne radiated from him into my nostrils. 

He suddenly looked at me, his eyes burning into my soul, his hand came forward and I didn't retreat, I let his knuckles run down my cheeks, down my jawline and till the crack of my chest, I shuddered at his touch.

''You are so beautiful, don't you know that?'' he whispers softly tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, I frowned as the edges of him was hazy, like he was a hallucination, but his touch felt real, his beautiful smile made my heart skip a beat, how can someone be so beautiful.

''Why did you hurt me? What have I done to you to break my heart? I loved you, I gave you my heart and yet you decided to break it? Why?'' the gentleness on his voice and face was long gone and was replaced with pain and rage.