12| Her Yearning

I knew it was going to be trouble when I walked home, my whole body aching as dried tears lined my face, I tucked a loose piece of my hair behind my hair as I saw Tapas standing on the doorsill

His face was void of any emotions which made me shudder, I was ready to face any consequences, if loving someone is a crime then I am ready to be a criminal.

It was foolish of me to think that I could never fall in love, ignorant that I never knew that my heart always loved that one dangerous place, Zamindar Anirudh Roy Choudhary since the day I met him in woods when we were teenagers, when I ran away from my home, when I was broken and tattered, that high cast person lends his helping hand to a poor outcast.

''Bondita'' I heard Tapas deep voice, I looked at his handsome face, he was elder to me, way elder but he was never as perfect as that man who left me to this cruel society forever.

He made me study, changed the phase of this society and now he left me to fend again, all I could crave now was to see his charming smile, his glowing dark skin, his hazels that shone like the stars, that beautiful hair that always fell on his godly face, his nonchalant expression as if the whole world meant nothing to him.

But the Anirudh I saw today was not him, it was a mere shadow of who he used to be, all because of me, his wife, his brother, his father, his family lost him because of me.

I am the villain of this story. 

I am the cursed woman.

A woman who can never bear a child, a woman who left her husband for a man she knew she would never get, a waste of space.

Tears of shame streamed down my face as Tapas held my chin and made me look up into his empty eyes. Those eyes which always held pride for me held distrust, disgust and displeasure for me.

''You came back, wonderful'' he chuckled darkly, sarcasm laced in every syllable. 

''I did, and I am sorry'' I couldn't complete anything before I broke down, holding his shoulders for support and my whole body shook. His grip on my bicep tightened.

''Thank the goddess Durga that no one knew that you are a cheater of a wife, a complete prostitute, remember when I kept you when you couldn't give me an heir? Now I think you are pathetic and useless.'' he started making my heart pound, no, he can't disown me.

''N-No, Tapas Babu, y-you can't d-do this t-to me, You can't l-leave me, pl-please I beg y-you'' I beg to fall on his feet, my hair falling on my wet face as my fingers clutched his shoes.

He bends down and held my face harshly ''Is that so Bondita? You are ashamed to face society? So let's do something, I will re-marry, I disown you from my mind, in between us, we are no longer husband and wife, but for the society we are, we won't sleep together, you won't even come near me, I am just keeping you for this beautiful face, such a waste of beauty isn't it?'' he cackles humorlessly.

I have never seen him like this, so cold and cruel, he was always kind, it was all my fault, now I am just an object to show people, I am in reality a widow.

''On last time, beautiful, take it as a gift for being so gorgeous and a punishment for hitting me, choosing that Barrister over me!'' he whispers softly pressing his lips on my wet cheeks as he clutched the edge of my saree and pulled it, as it slides off my shoulders. I shut my eyes tight letting his fingers walk down the curve of my neck and down.

***

A Year Later.

I frowned with confusion, when I felt a feminine handhold my bicep and pull me, I looked down at a woman who was a few inches shorter than me and breathtaking, Chotti Zamindarni Saudamini Roy Choudhary.

''I knew it was you, I knew it, you are real, not a creation of his imagination, not his hallucination, you are real, no wonder he is head over heels for you, you are the most beautiful girl I have ever seen, you are real, I can't believe it'' Saudamini breath running her fingers down my face, I raised an eyebrow quizzically. 

''What do you mean I am real Zamindarni'' I whisper moving away from her, I am an outcast, in the end, her innocent eyes held awe for me, which I hoped would be disgust. But she is purer than any woman I ever saw.

''I saw all these paintings, all these writings hidden under his desk, but now I can't, I think he burnt it away, but I kept this one painting for a reference'' she says handing me a painting for myself, it was so beautiful that my jaw hung open in awe.

''Did Zamindar pai-'' I couldn't complete before she shook her head vigorously, I was taken aback by the tears in her eyes.

She was quick to wipe her tears and pull a faux smile ''He never loved me'' she says holding my hand ''He always loved you'' she whispered so softly that I couldn't catch what she said in the end.

''Pardon?'' I ask frowning, but she chuckled and shook her head in negative.

''Never mind that Bondita, I have come here to you for a favour, please don't deny it'' she says clutching my hand in her gentle ones.

''Of course Zamindarni, please ask away'' I quickly reply sincerely.

''I want you to bring him back, bring the only man I truly loved, I know he never loved me, I am just a best friend for me, but, you can bring my husband back, Please Bondita, I want him back, it's been a long time, I want him'' she cries hugging me tight, I was taken aback by her words.

''How can I bring him back? I am no one to him, you are his wife, you are the one who can bring him back'' I say not sure what to answer, what is she saying?

''No I can't, oh foolish child, you aren't 'no one' to him, you are the lov-, I mean you are the person he always cared, because of you he left, he can come back if you try'' she chuckles, her face lined with sadness. ''It's me who is no one to him''

''I can't Zamindarni, my family, my husband he won't'' I try to argue but she shushes.

''I hope Meredith gave you a ticket, I will secretly send you away from here, no one will know, I will make sure no one does, do you trust me Bondita?'' she askes, I shake my head positively.

''Good, get ready as soon as possible, you are going to London'' she whispers hugging me tightly.

''Thank you for agreeing to bring him back, even if this will make me lose him forever'' she says which I couldn't understand. Lose him?

But I knew one thing, I am going to London, I am going to cross the seas, excitement filled my mind making me smile, and something else made my heart race, after a year of yearning, I am going to meet Anirudh Roy Choudhary

***

Unedited. 

Well, yeah, I am excited too!

Song for this chapter-