13| Her Misery

I clutched the end of my saree as I controlled the tears from falling off my eyes, my own husband is re-marrying and no one could as for something more painful than that

I felt a huge wave of Deja Vu wash over me when Tapas didn't spare me a second glace, well I always wonder why I am always so despised, I looked over to the side at Saudamini, who smiled at me with a wave, I nodded my head, I didn't have the strength to smile.

A tear slipped out of my eyes as the wedding ceremony came to an end painfully, but I have seen worse, my eyes stood on the line of vermillion on the new bride, I knew she will be just used for an heir and will be discarded, poor Neelima, she deserves more than being a second wife.

My husband found another partner and so did the man I love.

Curse my fate.

I felt a feminine hand clutch mine, I looked down at Saudamini who had a look of sadness on her face, her hand came up and wiped my tears. 

''I know how it feels darling, but you need to hold yourself together, for Tapas and also for Anirudh'' she whispers soothing my hair, my eyes went glossy at her words, I wrapped my arms around her body and buried my face on the curve of her neck, letting my tears drip down her skin.

I felt her hand rub my back as I looked at Tapas who was just staring at me, when my eyes locked with his, he turned his head away, I felt myself go weaker.

I remembered the day my family made me marry the son of the richest merchant of Amritapuri, Tapas.

Y E A R S   A G O

I am just 13, how can the people here be so cruel? To a daughter of a widow? My mother was ripped away from the pleasures of humanity and now everyone lost their humanity.

I looked into the eyes of my new husband who was nearly 15 years elder than me, child marriage is a curse. I just knew it.

I shut my eyes closed as the vermillion fell on the bridge of my nose, I looked up to the smiling face of Tapas, his sharp and beautiful features, his masculinity, but it didn't perk my interest, someone else did.

The high cast boy, the son of our Zamindar, Anirudh Roy Choudhary, had my interest, the way he selflessly helped me, even send me to school, I would never forget that.

But he was gone, he came in like a wave of the wind and gone just like that, leaving no trace but the residue of his touch and a tuft full of memories. 

''Please not now'' I pleaded at my new husband as I sat on the bridge of his bed, he smiled tenderly at him, he looked kind, but I was yet to know that.

''I will let you grow, 15, that's when I will claim you'' he smiled at me before he stood up and walked away, the door shutting behind me, my heart thumped inside me, 15.