chapter 66

Songs that inspired this chapter:
- idontwannabeyouanymore by billie eilish
- the wisp sings by winter aid
- mystery of love by sufjan stevens

happy holidays! tried to get this chapter out as soon as possible before i get swept away by christmas :) i hope everybody is staying safe, having a good time, and enjoying life.

thoughts on the story? how are we doing? what are people doing for the holidays?

ALSO WE REACHED 100K ON 'MIND OF MINE'!!! HOLY SHIT I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. i started writing this book one random night, thinking it'll never blow up but you all took a chance on it and that means so much to me. reading everybody's comments and sweet messages about how much my book means to them warms my heart and i can't wrap my head around it. seriously, it feels like a dream. so thank you everybody, for joining me on this journey, for sharing the same passion for mha, for taking a leap of faith with me. I LOVE YOU ALL <3

now, enjoy the reading :)

-lots of love, mj <3

...

It jumped from the porch steps, making its way towards the towering white building with blue glass windows. Nobody paid it any attention, too caught up in their business to spare a glance at the strange visitor.

In the meantime, the visitor followed the familiar path, sneaking inside when a student failed to secure the door. It was easy to get inside but even easier to enter the headquarters for Recovery Girl's patients.

Hearing a strange noise outside of the hospital room, you briefly rolled over to stare at the door, wondering who or what was on the other side. The only noise at the moment was your raspy breaths followed by the beeping of the respirator currently attached to you. The suspense was killing you, but the seconds on the digital clock ticked by until a scratching noise against the door echoed.

The door slowly slid open, leaving a gap wide enough for the visitor to squeeze by. You grinned and patted the sheets that covered your sick body, "C'mere girl." Umi, the Aizawa family cat, meowed as it jumped onto the hospital cot and snuggled on the sheets by your legs, making itself comfortable. "Thank you for keeping me company." Umi meowed again, her bright eyes looking at you like she understood your words. Maybe she did.

Either way, you appreciated having another body in the room. It was getting too cold with nobody visiting. That was partially your fault, considering how you've decided to keep your illness a secret for a little longer, not feeling prepared to deliver the blow.

Bakugo had been here earlier in the day, coming by to have breakfast with you and discuss the movie from the night before. But he left after being summoned for some hero work. Your father got caught up with U.A Principal duties, and Recovery Girl was busying kissing away any injuries conjured. That meant there was nobody to keep you sane.

You spent the day staring at the numbers attached to the vital signs monitor, seeing them change once in a while, trying to decipher what they meant scientifically. It was getting harder to live life as your body had begun to deteriorate too quickly, leaving you chained to the respirator as the headaches got worse, a sign of little oxygen getting delivered to your brain. The IV line was currently working hard to provide your body with its missing nutrients, making your arm a little sore after being cooped up in the same position for hours.

Umi was a lovely surprise, and you wondered how she found you. Man, she was an observant cat. "I wish Katsuki was here," you confessed to Umi's ears only, using the little energy you had to reach forward and pet Umi, feeling her purr against your hand.