𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

𝔯𝔢𝔩𝔦𝔢𝔣

❝ 𝐑𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐄𝐅 ❞

𝔯𝔢𝔩𝔦𝔢𝔣

𝖁𝖆𝖑 𝖙𝖜𝖎𝖉𝖉𝖑𝖊𝖉 𝖍𝖊𝖗 fingers, as she sat in the stone-cold, silent interrogation room, staring at the bland coffee they'd given her, as she waited for the investigating officer to enter the room. Turned out, Ralph did call the cops that day, explaining that an altercation had occurred between two men after domestic abuse allegations and verbal threats.

It was safe to say that she was scared out of her mind, but she wondered if Jack was doing any better in the room beside hers. Knowing he was supposed to be in a different state in a few hours for a show had her worried that what he'd did for her could destroy his growing career.

In actuality, Jack was pretty calm externally, ensuring that his request to seek legal council was the first and only words he uttered until his attorney arrived, although not even being charged with anything. He knew he was dealing with self-defense as his only argument, so he was going to need all the help he could get.

The lead investigator entered Valerie's room and gave her a short smile once he sat down. "You're not in trouble, Miss Morgan, I'm just going to read your rights and ask you a few questions."
"Is Jack okay? He didn't do anything wrong, he has a show tonight and I don't want him to miss it because of me." she firmly asked. The investigator simply nodded his head, and Val exhaled heavily.
"He'll be fine, but I can't say any more than that. After I've read your rights, I'll tell you why you're here." he reassured, Val tentatively obliged and as she nodded her head, wondered if she's should've already requested for legal council. "Okay, this is regarding your relations with Jevon Baltimore, who we currently have in our custody. We were made aware of some allegations of abuse... towards you, Miss Morgan."
Val's heart sank. Looking clearly uncomfortable, the investigator leaned slightly forward. "I'm sure you're afraid, especially since most reports go ignored and and the victim isn't believed, but I want you to know that I am here to listen, if he has hurt you. Has he?"
Val contemplated her words fully in that moment, what she could say next could put Jevon in prison, and she wasn't sure if it was love or fear of him that was making her hold her tongue.

She glanced at her hands that hastily reached for the coffee cup. Jack's words still sat in her mind. Like broken record, the countless times that he said that he'd always be there for her, that no matter where in the world he was, he would be there for her at an instant. The thought of him made her tear up.

She bit her trembling lip, as she glanced back up, "He held himself to a different standard. He would take advantage of me, and then beat me when I wasn't happy with it. He restricted me from doing things I used to do before we were together, and then controlled the things I still do."
"Has he hit you recently?"
"Couple weeks ago."
"Are we able to take you in for some pictures for evidence?" he softly requested. Val nodded. "I hope you are aware that we'd like you testify against him. We can grant you with a restraining order after his trial."
"What'll happen to Jack?" she worriedly asked. At the end of the day, he could easily be charged with assault, and she hated that she felt like it'd be her fault.
"His situation is being treated as separate case against Jevon, so I can't disclose any information."

Valerie was questioned until the investigator felt he had enough information to build a strong enough case against Jevon, but it left her in tears, hyperventilating at the fact that she had to relive such situations that had left her so helpless. Though, as she dried her tears, and the investigator smiled softly at her, she felt a sense of relief.

Relief that she was a step closer to breaking away from what felt like a sickening trap against herself. It was so relieving to describe her experience with her ex-boyfriend and realise how deluded she'd become. She was compensating for so much that it was eating away at her soul.

But as she cried, she felt it all becoming the slightest bit lighter.