CHAPTER 1: The Necklace

The darkness started to dominate the sky when I was on my way home from school

The darkness started to dominate the sky when I was on my way home from school. It was unusual for me to stay in school for the whole day when I am used to celebrating Valentine's Day with my mom.

Today is not just any Valentine's Day because today is my birthday too. Maybe many people are actually excited for this day to come around but do not include me. I am not bitter but I would rather be at home reading my notes than walking around the streets to find my soulmate.

I stayed at school for the whole day because I joined a singing contest for the first time. My mom always pushes me to sing in front of the crowd but I am always thinking about what will the audience say so it caused me to be frightened and not to do it anymore. However, I do not want to be a coward in my entire life that is why I decided to join and face my fear. I practiced every day before this day.

When I was at the back stage, my hands began to sweat and I can hear my heart beats so loud that I thought about fainting. Fortunately, I did not.

When it was my turn to step on the stage, my knees started to shake and I can barely step forward. I took a deep breath before singing "Destiny" in front of the hundred pairs of eyes. At that moment, I ended up singing the song with heart and soul. People applauded and I almost cry to their appreciation. I was awarded as the 2nd place of the annual Valentine's Day singing competition.

I was so happy that I wanted to fly back to our house and share the victory with my mom.

"Hi Mom, I'm here!" I cheerfully said while getting inside the house. I was holding my silver medal that blinks every time light strikes to it.

Okay. This is odd. No answer. This house was never been so quiet, except now. There must be something wrong.

I went to the living room to find her and saw my mom crying on the couch. She hurriedly wiped her tears with her wrinkled fingers.

 She hurriedly wiped her tears with her wrinkled fingers

I hastily run to her side, while sitting on the couch. "Mom, are you okay?" I hugged her, and her warm and fragile body rested against mine.

"Yeah, I'm okay baby." She said but I did not buy it. Honestly, when she says she's okay, she's not. It is obvious. I've been with her for my whole life so I know if she's just acting okay or not.