Pink Discharge: What It Means and What To Do

It might sound pretty, but that doesn't stop it from ringing alarm bells if you don't know what it means. Rest assured — we've got the answers...

What does it look like? Discharge with a pink tinge or pink flecks.

Is it a problem? There's a good chance there's absolutely nothing to worry about and what you're seeing is just a little blood mixed in with your normal discharge. You might notice this at the beginning or end of your period (when your bleeding is light), or if you change contraception — about one third of people get lighter bleeding during their first months of using hormonal birth control.

Plus, just before ovulation (when an egg is released), levels of the hormone estrogen surge are followed by a drop, which can trigger light spotting around the midpoint of your cycle.

However, bleeding in between periods can also be a symptom of a problem, including polycystic ovary syndrome (a common condition that affects how your ovaries work), thyroid issues, fibroids (non-cancerous growths), polyps and some STIs.
Fortunately, these are all usually manageable, if you seek timely medical help.

What can you do? If you only notice pink discharge just before or after your period, it's not something to worry about. But if it happens between your periods —and especially if you also have symptoms like pain when you pee or during sex or discharge with an unpleasant smell — then it's best to get it checked out by your doctor to rule out any health issues.

Keeping track of your discharge and symptoms (if you're worried about it) in a journal and bringing it to your doctor is the best way to make sure you have a super-informed diagnosis.

Anything else it might be? Possibly. Light spotting can also occur when a fertilized egg implants itself into the lining of the uterus in early pregnancy. But don't let a few flecks of punk convince you you're pregnant!