4 changes to your discharge that might signal an infection

Discharge has a bit of a bad rap - which is unfair because it's actually a super smart way for our bodies to tell us how they're feeling. Clear, stringy, thick, white, creamy, opaque ..... these kinds of discharge are typically a sign that everything's running smoothly. And we should be thankful to our vaginas for letting us know! But discharge, being the master communicator that it is, can also tell us when we may have an infection or condition.
Yep, discharge really is wonderful stuff!

So, which types of discharge (and changes to it) should you keep an eye out for? Here are some of the signs your discharge could be trying to tell you something....

Your discharge is an unusual color

If the color of your discharge changes, it could be due to an infection, like a yeast infection; a sexually transmitted infection (STI) such as trichomoniasis, chlamydia, or gonorrhea, or bacterial vaginosis (BV). It could also be caused by a problem in the uterus or with the cervix, like polyps or fibroids.

The colors and shades to look out for (and when to look out for them) are:

- Yellow, anything more than just a tinge. When? At any point in your cycle.

- Green. When? At any point in your cycle.

- Grey, including grey-ish white and totally grey. When? At any point in your cycle.

- Brown, including reddish-brown and blackish-brown. When? If it's not normal for you, or if you're seeing it between periods or instead of your usual period.

- Pinkish AKA spotting. When? If spotting isn't normal for you, if you're not ovulating/in the middle  of your cycle, or after sex.

You should look out for these changes in color especially when you also notice an unusual odor or when you have itching or burning. Which leads us to....

Your discharge smells different

It's normal for your vagina to smell like, well ... a vagina. This smell will change throughout your cycle in the same way the consistency of your discharge does. But if you notice your vagina or discharge begins to have an unpleasant or strong fishy smell, it's likely your body is telling you something is up. This odor can be a sign of BV, especially if the smell is present after sex. Other causes of inflammation of the vagina (AKA vaginitis) include yeast infections and trichomoniasis.

Your discharge is lumpy

The texture of your discharge changes throughout your menstrual cycle. Sometimes you may notice tiny lumps in your white discharge, which tend to be nothing but cells and debris your body has shed from the uterus and vagina. However, if your discharge is white, thick, and contains large lumps think cottage cheese - you may have a yeast infection.

You have more discharge than usual

What's considered a normal amount of discharge? Well, this varies from person to person, and depends on where you're at in your cycle (you're likely to see more discharge around ovulation, for example). If you notice your discharge levels have ramped up and it's itching or has an odor, it's best to see your health care provider so they can investigate further.

What to do if you spot one of these signs

We know we've said this a lot, and it's much easier said than done, but try not to stress. Noticing one of these signs is just the first step to getting it sorted. And we should be forever grateful to our discharge for being such a reliable messenger.

If you do notice a change in the color, smell, or texture of your discharge, or if you experience any painful or uncomfortable symptoms, be sure to see your health care provider. Since a lot of these infections share symptoms, it's best not to self-diagnose or assume you have a certain type of infection- especially since they each need to be treated differently. It's also super important to get tested for STIs if you have had unprotected sex. Ultimately, most infections are simple to treat once they've been correctly diagnosed. And most don't come with any further complications if they're dealt with quickly.